Chapter 8

I don't have much to say so...enjoy?
____________________________________

        Add finally made it back to the library. He was a few hours early, but he didn't care. He needed to make sure that (y/n) was still fairing well. Once he put away the things he'd gotten into his lab, he went to check on her. He knocked on the door but there was no response. He waited a little longer but became impatient so he knocked again. There was still no answer so Add opened the door hoping that the girl was okay.

        She wasn't. At first glance, one might think that she was asleep, but Add could tell that she had passed out or even worse. The last thing he wanted to happen was for his new experiment to fail before it even began. He walked over to her and lifted her into his arms.

        Add took her across the hall to his room and placed her onto his bed since he hardly ever used the room anyway. Most of his time was spent in his lab. He checked her temperature using the back of his hand and noticed that she was extremely cold. The library had the bad habit of being below freezing in the summer and extremely hot during winters, but it was spring so the temperatures in the library were average.

        "Damn you. Getting sick before you're back in good health. Why did I let you stay here like this anyway?" Add thought to himself. Add tucked her in and left to go to his lab. He needed to find out what was wrong with her and cure her from it. Once there, her prepared her a bowl of warm soup and brought it back to her.

        "So you're awake now? What happened?" he asked when he found her awake and trying to sit up. He placed the soup on the side table in the corner of the room. She only glanced at him then looked around his room. He took note of her actions and made sure to record them along with his other recent observations on the girl.

        "Who are you exactly? Why are you here? There are towns and other places, right? But you decide to live here, why?" (y/n) asked him. Add was surprised at her sudden inquiry but he of course didn't let it show.

        "You don't live in a village so why do I have to?" he countered. (Y/n) shook her head at him.

        "No, I have a reason. I had to escape. They were going to continue to harm me. I can't allow myself to be experimented on again. You though, you don't seem to have a reason unless your parents brought you here? Or maybe you ran away from home?" she reasoned. Add didn't like the fact that she was digging into his past, but he needed her to trust him. She obviously didn't know that she was already being studied, and Add wanted to keep it that way.

     "I'm like you in a way. I had to escape too, but I choose to live here. I am researching a race called the nasods and you are going to help me," Add told her. (Y/n)'s attention was certainly caught by this statement of his.

        "Help you? How can I do that if I can't even read? I don't even know what a nasod is? I barely know anything at all!" she said. Add didn't care about any of that.

    "You'll learn. It'll take you some time but you'll learn. You have to because if you don't...you won't survive," Add said. This didn't seem to phase her at all. Add was about to leave her in the room to do some research and figure out why she was so cold only a moment ago but perfectly normal now. He stopped though when he heard her call his name.

        "Add," she said. "Can you help me read the book...I can't understand it." She didn't have the book with her but it was clear that she was eager to find out what was in it. Add stared at her for a moment and finally made his decision.

        "No. You'll never learn anything if you always get help from me," he said. He left her there and went to get the book from her room. When he was about to leave the room, he was almost startled by (y/n)'s sudden presence at the door. "What?" he questioned as he looked at the girl in front of him.

        "Teach me to read," she demanded. Add found her attempt to gain authority to be funny.

        "I said no. No means no. You may not be able to read, but I'm sure you know what no means," Add said. (Y/n) looked genuinely annoyed, a quality that Add had not seen her display before now. (Y/n)'s wings appeared and she frowned at him a little.

        "Either you teach me to read or you teach me to fight. It's your choice," she said. Add tilted his head a little while he glared at (y/n). He was surprised to see that she didn't flinch this time.

      "Don't you know that I have far more experience in fighting than you do? You wouldn't stand a chance against me," Add said with a smirk. (Y/n) just shrugged.

        "What's that got to do with anything?" she said and then it hit him. Add realized what was so off about her. Well, at least one of the things. She didn't register danger very well. Yeah, she defended herself from the hunter back in the forest, but she had been motivated by survival then. Now, she was pretty safe while in the library and didn't seem to care that Add could easily win. He held the book out to her.

        "I said no. No means no. You may not be able to read, but I know you understand what no means," he said to her. She only pouted at him and responded saying, "Please, Add...I can't help you research if you won't teach me to read." She seemed to be about to give up. Add just shook his head at her. He too was close to letting her win, but he thought he could last a little longer. (Y/n) reverted to somewhat emotionless strait face.

        "Fine then. If you won't teach me to read then you'll have to teach me to fight. I'll win this argument either way, so it doesn't matter to me,"she said. Add couldn't take this anymore. Her sudden boldness had already caught his attention and her bi-colored wings already intrigued him. He just wanted to study them, to see how they worked, which is what he might get to do if (y/n) kept her wings out while he taught her to read. "Please?" (y/n) asked once more. Add sighed and then walked past her stopping at his door, book still in hand.

        "Just this time but don't you ever pull a stunt like this one again," Add said as he went to his bed and sat on its edge. She sat next to him and he was glad that she kept her wings out while he taught her to read.

        And that is how (y/n), at age 7, ended up in the library with a young researcher named Add who was at age 8 when she met him. Add's only purpose being to research her and (y/n)'s purpose being to live safely and save Add from the library's vile curse.
____________________________________

Hey guys! I'm so sorry that I took so long to update...seriously, I really should have done better but this means that now I will update this and my other stories more often. In other words...ONWARD! Until next time you cool readers!