Chapter 9

"What is the meaning of life and all living things? Why do you think we as creatures were made? Is it because God made a mistake? Or are we an improvement to the human race?-" the tall, burly, middle aged man walks across the floor with his hands behind his back. His head held high and his eyes swimming across the sea of serious young beasts--daring each one to think about the possible answers to his questions.

"Now I know all of you might not believe in God and I will never push you to. But in the very beginning of our existence, the first living of our kind very much believed in God. So if you don't, I just want you to put it aside right now and think about it as if you were them...just for a few moments." He goes back behind his desk and grabs a small object, points it up at the projector and clicks the button on the side of it--turning to the next slide of the presentation. On the screen there was a drawing of a man turning into what we call our true form.

The Beast.

"For several centuries humans have portrayed us as an abomination. Demons. Evil. Bloodlust devils. And more. Many, many more..." he pauses. He then looks up directly at me and steadily a smirk is drawn on his mediocre, crinkled face,"Miss Stone, do you care to tell me your thoughts on what you think of all this?" Blinking once, I held in a breath along with the rest of my body tensing up. Every single pair of eyes but his turned on me and for a few seconds I panic.

Fuck...

"U-um..." I stutter out. My throat muscles squeezed together, forbidding me to speak. My hands were shaking on top of my thighs and my leg wouldn't stop bouncing; it was a mess. Until, I felt his hand engulf my own and his fingers intertwined in between my fingers. Even though his hands were impressively massive, they still fit like a puzzle. And suddenly, everything was calm. I looked up at him and saw that he was glaring at the professor, nothing showed in his expression but that alone made him look murderous.

"Umm...I-umm" I take a deep breath, "I believe some humans can be very ignorant when it comes to things they can't understand. They are very anxious creatures and...I presume the unknown scares them. So it is no surprise that what they think they know of us, is bad," I begin.

"To me, God made all things and is incapable of making mistakes, so if we are here today...then I assume he made us too. As far as us being the improvement of the human race, I disagree." Tons of gasps broke the dead silence in the room and eyes as sharp as glass cut my insides from north to south and east to west. The professor rubs his chin in thought and and narrows his eyes at me.

"Hmmm...interesting. Care to elaborate Miss Stone?" Swallowing the absurd amount of saliva in my mouth, I shrug my shoulders and tighten my grip in his hand.

"To be considered as an improvement we have to be the prefect and better version of them. Only problem is we aren't. We may have heightened senses and a few extra things more then them, but so do millions of other animals. We can be just as savage as they are, just not-"

"RUBBISH! Humans cause unnecessary wars! They fight against their brethren and spill unnecessary blood for useless reasons! Slaughtering their people left and right, ruining the innocents of young children who grow up thinking that it's okay to hate another person just for the color of their skin! Killing people because of the religion their faith relies on! Murdering those who live by their culture and law! How can you stand there and say that we are anything like them?!" A boy shouts, standing up with both his arms pointed down at his side. He looked beyond irritated and looked as though I called his mother out of her name and disrespected his entire life. I lift a brow.

"Well if you hadn't interrupted me so rudely, you would've heard my explanation," I say calmly. "I understand what are you are saying and you are absolutely right. They are monsters..." I begin to frown, "but so are we. Tell me this..." I wasn't the type to pour gasoline in an already lit fire, but this argument ignited an old flame that I thought died with my old memories of being a child; arguing. Hearing this boy's outraged point of view made me completely interested and wanting to see just how far I can push his sensitive buttons. To make him see my point of view just as strongly as he sees his own.