Chapter 1

" You know I will always love you, don't you?" I nodded as the hot tears rolled down my cheeks. She smiled, hot tears of her own, rolling down her cheeks just as mine did. She leaned forward kissing both of my cheeks, then my forehead-prolonging the kiss.

" Be strong my baby. Always pray everyday and try your best to be the person you were born to be. I-" She covered her mouth and choked on her cries. My eyes burned as I watched my mother fall to her knees next to my father-using him as a support. I looked up, seeing the man that I knew all my life. He smiled at me slightly, his lips trembling a little as he spoke.

" Come here ladybug." He opened his arms, beckoning me with his strong hands. I ran to him, afraid of losing him if I didn't. I felt his brawny arms wrap around my small trembling body. Comfort is what I have always felt whenever my father embraced me.

" Daddy loves you very much and will always love you no matter what happens." I cried harder. Deep down inside I knew what was going to happen. And no matter how much I wanted to stop the tears and become strong....I couldn't. He hushed me gently, palming my hair, smoothing down the loose curls that were untamed.

" I need you to promise me and mommy something sweet heart...." he said. His voice was still strong, but trembling. I knew he was struggling, just as much as my mother.

" Promise me that you....that you will fulfill your destiny. Promise me baby that you always listen to what God tells you. Promise me that you will be the best person you can be. Be the person that we have raised you to be. Promise me ladybug...promise" I let out a loud sob and clutched his shirt. I didn't want to say 'I promise' because that would only confirm what I already knew what was going to happen. I didn't want to lose him. I didn't want to lose her. I didn't want to lose the only thing that mattered to me.

My family.

" I promise Daddy"

Nine years...

That's how long it's been since I watched my parents be buried into the ground. How they died, was always lurking in the back of my head. There was not a day that goes by,that they didn't cross my mind. Every second of every minute, my heart aches for that missing piece that I lost that day. No child, no adult, no-one should ever witness the pain I felt. No-one should ever see the things I have seen. People I loved, cherished, cared about, are gone. It was only by the grace of God that I have been kept sane throughout all these years.

"Vanessa honey come inside before you catch a cold!" Magna yelled out the window of her small cottage. She was a very tiny old woman that lived in the small village of our people. Her grey hair was always tied up into a braided knot and the wrinkles she had were gracefully sitting on the corner of her youthful blue eyes. Magna always carried a smile that was highly contagious and very bright. Something that my father inherited from her. Something that I wish I carried.

" I'm coming Magna!" I yelled back while picking up my drawing book and pencils. I was just in the middle of drawing the outline of the huge oak tree that stood in the middle of the field behind the cottage, when the rain came. Drawing was a hidden passion of mine that I found therapeutic after the death of my parents. After gathering everything, I jogged back to the cottage, catching a strong whiff of potatoes and broth.

" Whatcha making Mags? The famous potato soup?" I said cheerily, setting my things down on the small coffee table. She turned around after stirring the medium size pot- smiling amusingly.

" Oh I don't know about famous dear. The only people that I know who love my soup are you and Aaron." Magna said, chuckling to herself. I gasped loudly in objection.