1

The check in my hands stares back at me with a smirk. Well not really of course but it always seemed to be mocking me. Month after month i received the same slip of paper, with the same number of zeros staring up at me.

It arrived in my mail box with no addresses, just my name. It was from some bank but when i try to track who sent it i always come up with no answers and frustration beyond belief. 

That was years ago.

Now i just accepted that i needed the money, and someone somewhere was looking out for me, but i had no idea why.

A ringtone cuts off my staring contest, i reach over and grab my phone, ignoring how the red chipped plastic of a broken case cuts into my hand as i answer. 

"Mike"

"Hey babe, get dressed were going out tonight." I stare at my fingers for a few seconds, daydreaming about what it'd be like if i said no and refused. I'm so tired my knees are wobbly, and all i want to do is sleep. The exhaustion i feel isn't from long hours, it's the bone achingly familiar feeling of being utterly unable to do anything. 

Everyday I sit around our apartment, cleaning the same things over and over, and just praying everything is perfect. A coma would be perfect, even if it was one i wouldn't wake up from. 

But my lips betray me. 

"I'll be ready soon." 

He hangs up without answering, but i'm not surprised. As always after his call i rush to my room to get ready as quick as i can.

Though he hadn't given me a time frame i knew id regret it if he was here before i was done. I wouldn't want to make him wait....I couldn't. 

As soon as i finish my hair and make up i start to pull on my dress. It's deep purple and a body con style that was a bit shorter than i'd like, but Mike had bought it for me and expected me to wear it often in thanks.

I hear footsteps behind me, and i know he's already here.

Cold fingers hit my lower back, and i inwardly flinch away as fear creeps up into my throat.

"I love when you wear this one. You look so hot." I nod at him as he pulls the zipper up, and try to ignore how he takes his time trailing his finger up my exposed skin.

"Thank you. We should go." I turn quickly to grab my bag but his hand grips my upper arm and pulls me back.

His hand on my arm is painful, but i smile up at him innocently and look at the door in hopes he will ignore my impatience.

"It's okay to be a bit late Mari." His hand grazes up my side and i shiver as a cold sweat runs down my spine. He has that look in his eyes. The one i hate, the one that means more than just pain. 

He leans down and kisses me, and my lips do their best to match his. He grips my chin with long cold fingers and slides his tongue between my lips, i have to hold back a gag as he invades my mouth but as always i don't stop him.

He senses my reluctance and pulls back harshly, gripping my shoulder.

"What, you don't want me?" I shake my head, trying to calm him down as his nails dig into my shoulder.

My stomach twists nervously as i try to cover my ass, but when he licks the corner of his lip I know i'm screwed. 

"No i just didn't want to be lat-" He pushes me away from him and into the wall. My hip hits the corner of the door frame at an angle and i know it will bruise...again.

He turns to the door without a word, and i know i need to follow. I can't bring myself to get up immediately as i bite back my tears and swallow the sick feeling in my throat, this night will be hell and i can feel it.

I didn't deserve this.

"Let's go." His hand grabs my wrist and he yanks me out the door and to his car, a part of me wants to pull away and run, throw away everything and just never look back. 

But when he pushes me towards the front door i catch him watching me and i just stumble after him, letting the numbness seep in so i don't cry. 

Crying could get me killed.