Chapter 17

I slept fitfully that night, tossed from dream to dream about Hannah, Dean, or Meg. By the time the sun rose, I had resigned myself to another day spent in a tired fog. I didn't go to breakfast, I just sat in a chair by my window and read. By noon, I had decided hiding in my room would do me no good, so I got up. As I walked through the halls, trying to think of something to do, I realized again how beautiful the castle was. The castle back home was amazing, but it was very different. The Winchester castle was smaller, but more ornate, with many more tapestries and larger windows. I was actually starting to enjoy myself, looking at all the stonework, when Meg walked around the corner, smiling when she saw me.

  "Hello, Clarence," she said, smiling coyly. My heart skipped a beat and I smiled back. 

  "H-Hello, Meg," I said, blushing slightly. The memory of our kiss was still fresh in my mind, and I didn't know quite what to make of it. Meg walked up to me and gave me a quick kiss on the cheek, causing me to blush even more.

  "Did you sleep well last night?" She asked.

  "Well enough. Yourself?" I asked. I wondered if she was going to adress what had happened between us. But thsn again, perhaps it was better if she didn't.

  "The same. I had a difficult time putting away my thoughts, I admit," Meg said, looping her arm through mine and starting a leisurely pace down the hall.

  "And what were you thinking about?" I mentally kicked myself the second the words left my mouth. That was the stupidest question I could possibly ask if I wanted to avoid talking about our kiss.

  "I think you know. You're very memorable," Meg said. I wished she would stop saying such things so I could stop blushing so much. Meg chuckled, looking at my face.

  "Relax, Clarence. It's a good thing," she said. "And it was a good thing." I looked over at her.

  "You really think so? I don't... I don't know if I really agree," I said. Meg stopped walking.

  "And why is that?" she asked.

  "I don't know. There's just some part of me that feels like this is wrong," I said, staring at the stones beneath my feet. Meg reached up and turned my face to look at her.

  "Well until it can give you a well worded reason..." She leaned up and kissed me, and all of a sudden, I agreed with her. This felt so good. Meg was beautiful, she was smart, she knew what she wanted. I would be a fool to not be interested. I kissed her back, cupping her cheek in my palm. Someone cleared their throat behind us suddenly and we broke appart.

  "Dean," Meg purred. "How lovely to see you." Dean didn't reply immediately, watching me for a moment with an unreadable expression.

  "It's mutual, of course," he finally said. "Has this been going on long?" I blinked at Dean's frankness.

  "No... It started last night," I said. Dean nodded, then turned around and began walking away without another word. I glanced at Meg for a second before starting after Dean. I caught up to him just as he turned a corner and grabbed his arm to stop him. He turned to look at me, his eyes cold.

  "What?" He asked.

  "Is everything okay? You seem really... Distant. Did I do something? Are you still mad about what I said last night? I'm sorry, I didn't mean to be so blunt, I should have kept my mouth shut. Just please don't be mad at me," I said, my wings fluttering in agitation. Dean's eyes softened.

  "I'm not mad at you. You were right, anyway," he said. I let go of Dean's arm.

  "Then what's wrong? Maybe I can help," I said. Dean shook his head.

  "Don't worry about me. We both have more important things to think about, anyway," Dean said, before turning and walking off again. I didn't chase him this time. He was right, I suppose. Now that wedding planning was really getting under way, I had more important things to worry about. But... I felt like I was losing Dean. And I didn't want that to happen. He was the best friend I had in this place, and while perhaps we had a rocky start, being faced with the prospect of never talking to him again except as Hannah's husband was not something I liked.

  "Hey. Are you okay?" I turned to see Meg behind me.

  "I think so. I should probably visit Hannah, though. I missed our walk this morning, she's probably worried," I said. Meg nodded.

  "I'll walk you," she said. I nodded and the two of us started down the hall, side by side.

  "Oh, and Clarence?"

  "Yes?" Meg glanced at me.

  "Just because I kissed you doesn't mean I expect you to propose. I'm happy to stay like this if you are," she said. I hadn't thought of that, but I still felt relieved to hear it.

  "Okay."

***

  It took Hannah a few minutes to open the door after I knocked.

  "Castiel! I missed you this morning," she said when she opened the door, a giant smile on her face. I smiled back.

  "I know, and I'm sorry. I... overslept," I said. I didn't think Hannah would want to know that I just didn't want to get out of bed that morning.

  "Oh, don't worry about it. I can't expect you to be up and about every single morning, can I? You deserve to enjoy yourself," Hannah said. "Anyway, come in, please. I was just getting the latest gossip from Charlie. There's always something new to learn after a party." Hannah held the door open and I walked in, nodding and smiling to Charlie, who was perched on the edge of the bed.

  "I didn't realize you indulged in gossip," I said, raising my eyebrow at Hannah, an amused smile playing across my lips. Hannah smiled sheepishly.

  "There's... Not much else to do around here," she said, folding her arms across her chest delicately. Charlie stood up and walked over to us.

  "It's true," she said. "Don't worry, though. I know what to keep to myself." The way she said it, something told me she was talking about something in particular. Did she know about me and Meg already? Perhaps the better quesfion was who didn't know about me and Meg? Everyone but Hannah, it seemed. 

  "Do you have any gossip, Castiel? You probably see a lot from your place against the wall," Hannah said.

  "Nothing to report, I'm afraid," I said. "I don't look for things that might be discussed in this manner." Hannah sighed in disappointment and sat down in one of the chairs around the fireplace. Charlie and I followed suit, Charlie sitting next to Hannah, me sitting across from her.

  "Did you see Dean talking to me last night?" Hannah asked, smiling. "I do believe that's the most we've talked since I arrived. I can see why you like him so much, Castiel, he really is charming." I smiled, feeling my stomach twist.

  "I'm happy for you," I said. And I was. Mostly.

(Okay, so I feel like it's disclaimer time. I know things are not looking great for Destiel right now, but I promise it's coming. The current Megstiel is just important to the plot. And also Cas is trying to be happy. Anyway, please just hang in there! Love you guys!)