14. scintilla | taerose

rated f, for fluff.

I. jacket

The first time Chaeyoung meets Taehyung, he manages to spill an entire cup of soda over her white, partially translucent blouse.

"Shit- I'm so sorry! I didn't see-"

She holds up a palm to his face.

"It's... f-fine," she forces out and swallows down the unsaid curses rolling behind her tongue.

(It's only the first day of school and no one needed to know how well-versed she was in the swear department.)

But the not-so-soft snickering coming from the bunch of teenage boys behind her makes her throat boil with insults and she nearly turns around when she feels something thrown over her shoulders.

It's a jacket, his jacket and Chaeyoung stares up at him as he fixes the material so that it sits nicely and covers the inconvenient wet patch just in front of her chest.

He pulls away when he's done, giving her an apologetic glance and all of a sudden, she doesn't feel so angry anymore.

"I'm so sorry about your- um," he pauses, and she clutches the jacket closer to her body, blushing.

"It's...okay," she manages to breathe out. "Your jacket-"

His hands shoot up in front of him and he waves furiously. "Don't worry! Y-You can have it for today, you need it more than me anyway!"

She blushes even harder. "Um, thanks then."

She returns his jacket the following day, washed and dried but he insists with a smile too bright and too blinding for his own good that she keeps it and somehow, she doesn't find it in herself to say no.

>

II. bud

Chaeyoung catches him stuffing a fist full of Doritos in his face just as she walks into the room.

"What the hell Tae! I just bought those yesterday!"

Taehyung swivels around in the chair, crunching through her sour ranch chips, grinning disgustingly wide.

"I know, thanks."

She almost throws her backpack at him.

"What's up?" he asks, licking the salt off his fingers.

She rolls her eyes. "You didn't turn up for math today."

He swivels away from her disinterestedly and back to his game. "You mean that waste of two hours we spend solving questions that are dumber than I already am?"

Chaeyoung sighs. "Tae-"

"Then yes, because I have better things to do."

She frowns. "Like what?"

"Like stuff," he grumbles, button smashing the keyboard. "I am a very busy man, contrary to popular belief."

She stares at the back of his head before reaching over and switching off the computer, ending his potential record breaking combo. "Like computer games?"

He spins around immediately. "What the fuck did you do that for!"

"You need to get your shit together Taehyung! I can't keep covering for you every time you decide to skip school!"

"I never asked you to!" He barks back.

She gasps, dropping her bag. "After all I've done to save your ass, the least you could be is grateful!"