rosekook; gift

prompt Pirate, siren, mischievous; rosekook

>

Chaeyoung's feet pull to a complete stop as she eyes the shady building in a mix of fear and resentment.

Out of all places in the amusement park, Jeongguk just had to choose the haunted pirate ship attraction to meet at for their fourth monthsary.

They could've been on the Ferris wheel or the bumper cars like any other normal couple, but no, Jeongguk had decided for the both of them that they needed to be special.

She hates the idea of it even before going in, and she can't understand why the hell he's chosen to meet at a place like this when he knows very well about her fear of haunted houses.

Sure, this was a haunted pirate ship but not like that was going to make it any better.

"Jeongguk, where are you?" She asks once the line goes through, hoping he hears the obvious irritation in her voice.

If he does, he merely ignores it. "Are you here?"

Chaeyoung tries not to roll her eyes.

"Yeah, I'm outside."

"Okay, come in!"

Jeongguk sounds too mischievously excited for her taste which does nothing but frustrate her even more.

"What? No! I'm not going in!"

"Just come in! I'm waiting!" He insists stubbornly before hanging up and she nearly throws her phone to the ground.

There are obvious warning sirens ringing in her head with each step she takes into the dark, but she mutes them temporarily, wanting to concentrate on finding her boyfriend first so they can get the hell out of this place.

She's terrified even though nothing has popped out to scare her yet, and it shows in the trembling of her voice as she calls out for him, trying her best to keep it as soft as possible so she doesn't attract unwanted attention.

"Jeongguk where are you? I swear to god if you try to scare me, I'm breaking up with you."

"...you'd go to that extent?"

The soft reply comes after a few seconds and though she's prepared herself for it, she still jumps and turns around ready to attack.

Thankfully, Jeongguk's equipped with fast reflexes and narrowly avoids being slapped in the face by the paper bag she's flung in his direction.

Surprise shows on his features but it turns into a frown of disbelief quickly when his eyes study her weapon of choice.

"Were you seriously trying to attack me with that?"

It makes a blush spread over her cheeks when she hears how easily the material crunches within his hands.

"Shut up," she mutters, then slams his gift against his chest out of embarrassment.

She doesn't need good lighting to know that Jeongguk's probably smiling ridiculously wide at her right now.

"Is this for me?"

She huffs, still sufficiently upset and he relents on the teasing by wrapping her closer to his chest.

"Thank you, baby."

"Don't open it yet," she scolds, though there's no real hint of venom in her voice. She's no longer mad of course, but the thought of having him open her present- a collection of Polaroids she's neatly gathered into a photo book from their past months together- in front of her makes her cringe in embarrassment.

Jeongguk knows well enough when he sees the slight blush on her face so he obeys her without a fight, and hugs her a little tighter in return.

"Aren't you going to ask me for your present?" He questions a moment later, and usually Chaeyoung would bust out the cheesiness and say something along the lines of I already have you, but she can't afford to be all soft with him when she's still in a terrifying place like this.

"I just want to get out of here."

Disappointed, Jeongguk pouts at her.

"After all I've prepared, you don't even want to know?"

"You can show me outside," she replies distractedly, too busy scanning their surroundings on high alert that she misses the saddened gaze he gives her.

"We've been in here for 10 minutes," he starts softly, getting her attention. "Not once have we been jump scared by anyone, why do you think so?"

Chaeyoung pauses. She'd been so caught up on looking for him she didn't even realize how empty the pirate ship was.

Her eyes drift up to him only to find that he's already looking at her, as if silently confirming her suspicions. But she still wants to hear him say it.

"What did you do?"

"I paid them to stop work for thirty minutes. I know you get easily scared by things like this," he explains, then reaches out to hold both of her hands gently but steadily in his own.

"I can't get rid of everything you're afraid of, but I want you to know I'd still try my best and I'd be with you every step of the way, until you finally realize that you don't have anything to fear as long as you're with me."

She almost lets herself cry once he's done, because it's rare to see Jeongguk so serious when he's playful with her most of the time, his mischievous side always on display after she'd told him how it never failed to cheer her up. Everything he's done always seems to lead back to her and it makes her think for a moment if she ever took him for granted, if she'd unknowingly gotten used to the way things were because he'd deliberately made it so.

"This is my gift. It's not much, but...uhh-" he panics, stuttering a bit and she has to hold back the tears watering at her eyes before it turns into a sob festival because the last thing she wants to do is to interrupt him.

"Thank you for being with me, Chaeyoung," he manages to complete with some difficulty but it doesn't stop her from jumping onto him any slower and hugging him any less tighter.

The tears flow freely now that he's finished, but it also prevents her from expressing how grateful she is, making her silently resent the way she can't stop crying like a baby once she starts.

But Jeongguk understands fully, even without a single word uttered as he holds her closer, smiles into her hair and sighs just loud enough for her to hear:

"I love you, too."