Eleven

-edited-

The party looked wonderful when I walked in on Harry's arm. Although looks were sent my way that I showed up with my boss, I ignored them. I was too happy with my work. Guests were dancing, the music was lively, and the food looked exquisite. I did good.

"It looks wonderful, baby girl," Harry whispers in my ear leading me in. "I'm going to go talk to the board. I'll find you later. Have fun." Harry then leaves me and heads towards a group of businessmen.

Surveying the room, I notice Mr. Frederick. He is standing next to a man with dark hair. The man is wearing a snug suit that shows off his muscles and a light stubble is on his face. He looked like an Egyptian god. But when Mr. Frederick sees me staring my face turns crimson and I try to look away. Yet, Mr. Frederick waves his pudgy arm and waves me over with a forced smile on his face. 

Oh dear. What now?

"Ms. Kirking, looking lovely tonight," Frederick says as he approaches me with the man he was talking to. I try to act natural as I notice how sexy the man was. Broad shoulders, almost black hair, and a dazzling smile, he was any women's wet dream. 

"Thank you Mr. Frederick. You as well." I say peeking a glance over to the man. 

"This is Mr. Chris Wells of Wells Publishing," Frederick reveals, by throwing an arm around his shoulder in a manly manner. Chris look kinda weirded out by his notion, but then again, Mr. Frederick was weird. So this was him.

"Nice to meet you sir." I say shaking his hand. His eyes stare into mine with a bold glance, trying to get a read off me. 

"Likewise. What a lovely party you've planned. Mr. Frederick was telling me all about your hard work."

"Thank you Mr. Wells. All good things I hope," I say jokingly just trying to make stupid conversation to impress him. 

"Of course. Do you care if I ask you for a dance?" Chris says hiking out his hand like the gentlemen he was.

"Not at all." I accept as he leads me to the dance floor. He puts his hand a little to low on my waist as he starts twirling me but I ignore it. He was the competition. I look over his shoulder and notice Harry talking with someone. That someone who has a dress on that shows way to much cleavage. He whispers in her ear and then takes her hand and leads her away out of the room.

I turn away full of jealousy and hurt. What the hell did that mean? It wasn't anybody who worked at Styles Publishing, I can tell you that. Maybe it was an old friend? Or an old colleague? Sure seeing him with another woman made me upset, but what made me even madder was why I cared. We weren't a couple. I didn't control him.

"Ms. Kirking, it seems like your attention is diverted tonight. Am I boring you?" Chris says looking down at me.

My head snaps up to look into Mr. Wells's blaring blue eyes. We were very close together, due to us dancing. His cologne was heavenly, and his hand was warm in mine. He has a smile on his face as he winks at me playfully.

Blushing, I say, "I'm sorry. Your company is very much needed. You can't be a bore. And please call me Arabella. 

"That's good to know darling. You look beautiful by the way. Too beautiful to be in my arms."

Laughing at how he was acting so frisky, I add,"Don't count yourself out. I'm here aren't I?" 

The song comes to an end, but he doesn't pull away. Instead we keep dancing. "I am very impressed by how well this party turned out. Everyone seems to be in high spirits. You should be proud of yourself."