Three

-edited-

I decided not to wear my heels today. Blisters were starting to form, so I went with my black flats. I paired them with a navy blue dress; I felt like looking good. Since I was too lazy to do my hair, I pulled my bangs back with a bobby pin. To complete the outfit, I put on my glasses. My vision was absolutely terrible; my optometrist said I would have glaucoma in my late twenties. Guess I'll just have to find out.

Walking into the office, I see the receptionist Nora wave me over. She was a woman in her late forties and tiny as a twig.

"I just wanted to alert you that Mr. Frederick is out today. Said he was feeling ill."

"But he called me in today because he was busy." I was fed up with this building. I was seriously considering quitting. I could work at Panera or Micky D's instead. I was more qualified for that than this.

"Oh well honey," Nora says not really caring.

I huff a big breath out and go to my office. I open the door and stop dead in my tracks. There sat Mr. Asshat with his hair in his face and a smirk on his lips. I nearly exploded with rage and embarrassment when I saw he was going through my writing journal.

Running up to him I rip the book out of his hands. "Mr. Styles what are you doing here?" I shout wanting to bash his gorgeous face in.

He raises his eyebrows and merely says, "Your stories need improvement. If you really want to be an author you need more."

"Mr. Styles that was private. You have no right to barge in here and go through my stuff."

"See that's why your writing isn't good. You use the word stuff. There's so much more you could use. Gear, impedimenta, paraphernalia," He mentions getting up from my chair and standing in front of me.

"You have no right to criticize me! I have done nothing wrong. You come here look through my personal paraphernalia and you expect me to be okay with it!" I knew I was yelling and was probably gonna lose my job but I didn't care. I was fed up with this man and his attitude. "Excuse me sir, but don't expect me to sit here and just take your bullshit when you're clearly in the wrong."

I see a look pass through his eyes and it starts to scare me. Then he does something I would never see coming. He backs me up so I'm leaning on the desk. His face is not even an inch away from mine and I feel like kicking him in the balls and kissing him at the same time. When you're that close to a good looking man, you have a hankering to kiss them. But I refrain. I was not some office whore.

"Listen little miss," he starts as his green eyes bore into mine. "You will not go around disrespecting me. If you know what's good for you, then I would not lash out like that again. Or something else will get some lashes," He says gripping my hip.

I want to just sit there and take his scolding but I'm to damn stubborn. "Are you threatening me?"

"No. I'm warning you that running your mouth won't get you anywhere. Well, at least not in my business. You need to watch your attitude or you will be punished. Am I clear?" He says as his eyes turn black and his grip hardens.

My knees nearly collapse at his grip and his dominance coming off him. But I muster up all the courage I have and say in a stern voice, "Crystal."

Immediately, he lets me go and slips out of my office leaving me to wonder what the hell just happened. 

••••••••••••••••••••••••••

Throughout the day, I do my best to ignore Mr. Styles. I only speak to him when I hand him a document or to ask if he wanted mayonnaise on his sub for lunch.

After dropping off his lunch, I head back to my office to find a new journal and note on my desk. I pick up the note reading it.

Arabella,

I'm sorry for my behavior this morning. I understand I went through your private things and know that they were personal. I hope this new journal will help you create new private stories since I ruined your old ones.

Harry Styles
CEO Styles Publishing

P.S. Your writing isn't that bad.

I look down at the note utterly confused. This guy changes his emotions faster than I can change a tampon. His moods can give someone whiplash.

I continue my work until the day is done, continuing to ignore Mr. Styles. I was confused at his notions and what happened in my office this morning. It seemed like he was getting close to me. He was messing with my head and I absolutely hated that. At the end of the day, I head to the elevator just as Mr. Styles does. This should be fun, I think.

Pressing the first floor button, I notice out of the corner of my eye, Styles looking at me. I figure I should say something about the gift he left me. After all, he said he was sorry. Just as I open my mouth, my phone rings. I see Harry's eyebrows raise as he looks at me fumble through my things. "Hello?" I speak into the receiver.

"Hi. Is this Arabella?" A woman's voice says.

I look at Harry to see him staring at me intently. I furrow my eyebrows and say lowering my voice, "This is she, may I ask whose calling?"

"Yes. It's Kelly Reynolds calling, your landlord. It seems that you didn't pay last month's rent. Plus you have animals on the premises-"

I interrupt her and say, "I'm sorry but are you sure I didn't pay it? I know I did. And the lease said I couldn't have large animals. A fish isn't large." I contradict.

The elevator doors open so I look to Mr. Styles and see a smirk on his face. Why is he always smirking? I give him a quick nod and leave the building.

"No. I have my records in my hands right now. You never paid it. And the lease says no animals. Ms. Kirking you have ten days to pay the rent and remove your fish or you will be evicted." She says in a fake ass sad tone. 

I have to pull the phone away from my ear and groan to try to calm my emotions. 

"Evicted!" I say irritated, putting the phone back up to my ear. "Are you sure you didn't make a mistake? I don't have the money right now to pay last and next month's rent. The world isn't cheap you know."

"That's just how it is. Goodbye Ms. Kirking," she says and hangs up.

I practically throw my car door open with rage. Guess I will be working at Panera. Why could nothing go right for me?

"Are you alright, Arabella?" A husky voice says.

I nearly jump out of my skin. As turn to the man behind me, I roll my eyes, already knowing who it is. There, Mr. Styles stands with a worried look in his face.

"I'm fine. Have a good night." I say shutting my car door and driving off. Glancing at my front mirror, I see him looking after me with that same concerned look taking over his features.

••••••••••••••••••••

Not my best work. But finally some Harry and Arabella action. Yay. Vote and comment.
Xxx
Emma