five| kiss me buttercup

The wind was harsh and forceful but cool, the sun was visible but no heat was being emitted. The grass was blowing towards us due to the east winds, the leaves on the trees were rattling.

"Are you nervous?" Simon asked as he pulled strings of grass from their roots, looking up at me, squinting.

"Not really, I mean we still have a good few months. Besides, I don't need to be worried if I study," I replied calmly, resting my arms behind my back, lightly tugging at the grass.

"I should be asking you that question, you're the one doing A-levels."

He chuckled lightly, a grin appearing on his medium sized lips. "Um... let's not talk about that."

Raising my eyebrows, I pulled an arm from behind my back and shoved him lightly, he overreacted and pushed his body to the ground while flailing his arms in the air.

"You haven't started studying? I thought that was one of your New Years resolutions?" I said questioningly, I pouted with a worried look on my face. I was genuinely concerned.

"Are you at least still into that crime stuff?" I asked, blowing my warm breath against the cool air.

He nodded. "I'm gonna join the police and then lock up people like you," He said sternly as he pointed his finger right at my face. A smile broke onto his face, his serious expression faltered.

I stood up, looking at my new phone that I'd got for my birthday, dusting the grass off my bright blue jeans. I headed towards the tall wall that separated our houses, he followed and as we reached the wall I blew him a kiss goodbye as a joke.

"Daisy," We heard my mother through the phone as I tapped the screen to accept the call. I rolled my eyes at the phone, knowing my what my mother was like with punctuality.

He grinned coyly as he pretended to catch the kiss, "Kiss me buttercup," He teased and threw a flower at me- a buttercup.

I smiled, climbing hurriedly over the wall.

What a lad.

My phone's ringtone harshly disrupted the eerie silence in the room

My phone's ringtone harshly disrupted the eerie silence in the room. The 7am alarm rang out dramatically, waking me up instantly.

I rolled to the edge of my bed, leaning over to stop the alarm and check any messages and notifications.

I had two missed calls from Simon, one from Gee and one from Libby. All I did was go to bed at 11. Not like I was dead or anything.

I had work today, but I'd also promised JJ that I'd stop by after work. I worked in the Production Management Department with a new-ish company called Radar. They specialized in making Sat Navs and Home Installed Alarms and Trackers.