Chapter 17; The recovery, and the missing boys

Start from the beginning

I turned to Caleb for a moment since Thomas was out of hearing zone, "Who treated me?" I asked him, suddenly curious.

"Grey did," He informed me, surprising me. "Oh," Caleb nodded, as if he thought the same when Grey bandaged me.

That almost made me feel like he had a soul. Almost.

"Reagan's coming up," Klay suddenly appeared out of nowhere, out of breath, with Thomas trailing behind him.

I raised a brow. "You might want to get back into bed, it would do us all a favor." The weird boy went on, sitting on one of the chairs and shutting his eyes, as if it will make everything go away.

"What do you mean, do you all-" "Why are you not in bed?" I heard Reagan bark from behind me. I blinked at him, and then waved my hands. "Cause I'm all healthy and feeling fantastic, I can go around and not feel erratic?"

There was a complete silence after that. "No? come on, it even rhymed!"

Klay gave me a look and put a hand over his mouth, as if he was holding his laughter.

"Get back to bed, and explain everything that happened." Reagan said, crossing his arms.

I was usually annoyed at people telling me what to do, but I did kind of owed them an explanation. And my legs did hurt a bit.

After we all sat down- not including Grey, who didn't return with the other boys, I told them how a group of boys suddenly cornered me outside, and then about the big guy who started to hit me.

"Why were you there anyway? We waited for you in the cafeteria," Caleb told me, frowning with a pained expression on his face.

I thought back to what I felt the moment I saw the boys all saddled together, without me there. I couldn't bring myself to tell them about it, because I didn't know if I could truly let myself open up to them.

So instead, I said; "I had to call my aunt about something private, and didn't want anyone listening. I guess the backyard wasn't the best place to do that," I said it as a joke, but no one found it amusing.

Mentioning my aunt, I suddenly thought about my uncle and looked around. "Where's my phone?" I asked, checking the pockets of my jacket.

Reagan took my cellphone out of his jean's pocket, making me stare at him. "I found it besides you when we took you," he said, knowing exactly what I was thinking.

I nodded slowly, reaching my hand so he will hand over. my phone.

He reached his other hand and pulled my raised hand to him, then put my phone on top of it. After that, he stood up.

"Do you want me to drive you home?" He asked, his expression softer now, warmer.

I blinked, then quickly realized I couldn't let him know where I lived.

"Will you drop me off close to it? My um... sister is weird when it comes to strangers." Reagan gave me a strange look, but didn't comment. Instead, he only nodded and picked up his jacket.

Instead of wearing it himself, he threw it over to me and exited the room. I glanced at the other boys and gave them a small, confused wave.

"I'll see you guys on Monday, I guess." I said and went after Reagan, wearing his jacket over my own and tried not to sniff it too much. That would be weird.

After he stopped at the park near my house, I noticed how he didn't drive away until I was out of sight.

And that made my heart flutter.