Brigadoon

Other Titles:

Brigadoon: Anime

Brigadoon: Marin to Melan

Synonyms:

Brigadoon Marin and Melan

MariMera

Type:

TV

Aired:

July 21, 2000 to February 9, 2001

Source:

Original

Genres:

Adventure, Comedy, Drama, Mecha, Sci-Fi

Synopsis:

Marin is a typical junior high school girl with a sunny disposition and a loving adoptive family. Her life takes a drastic change when a mysterious mirage is seen in the sky above the entire earth. Killer androids called Monomakia descend to earth from the formation in the sky called Brigadoon and begin to hunt down little Marin. She discovers a blue bottle in a shrine as she seeks escape and from the bottle comes a protector, a sword carrying gun slinging alien called Melan Blue, together they must save the earth and deal with family crisis, school prejudice and the police and come to an understanding of Marins past and Melans unexplained mission, as well as learn to trust each other. Set in 1969 Japan with a colorful cast of friends and enemies.

Characters and Voice Actors:

- Main:

Marin Asagi

The 13-year-old heroine of the series. Her life turns messy when Brigadoon appears in the sky and Monomakia started attacking her. She is an orphan and her real identity may shed some light on why she is targeted. Apparently, Marin carries something in her DNA called Creis, which Brigadoon needs to survive. Or, at least, so we would think.

Spoiler:

About halfway through the series, it is revealed that Marin is merely similar to Creis, and not Creis herself.

- Lee, Wendee (English)

- Kawana, Midori (Japanese)

Melan Blue

A living weapon Monomakia, known as a Gun-Swordsman, Melan is the main hero of the series. Melan is tall and humanoid in appearance, wearing blue armor. A set of retractable wings extend from his back, apparently needed for flying. A narrow, single-edge sword is attached to his right arm and a powerful laser rifle is on his left. Melan has no actual hands. He can reach and grab objects, even a newspaper, with a set of tentacles that extend from his chest.

Melan is discovered by Marin and assigns himself the mission of protecting her from Monomakia that would seek to kill her. For what reason so, he doesn't talk about, apparently under orders of strict secrecy. A century ago, Melan stole Creis from Brigadoon and sent her to Earth to save her from renegades. Melan fought single-handedly against many other Monomakia. After defeating them all and safely hiding Creis, he was sealed into his ampule and kept at the Nezu Shrine where he was later released by Marin.

Melan is fairly emotionless and doesn't understand human life. Only after observing Marin for some time, does he come to understand peace. Melan is courageous beyond all definitions of the word and doesn't stop fighting, even when critically injured. He has a strong sense of honor and justice.

- Ootsuka, Houchuu (Japanese)

- Oliver, Tony (English)

Lolo