Binchou-tan

Synonyms:

Binchotan

Type:

TV

Aired:

February 2, 2006 to April 15, 2006

Source:

Manga

Genres:

Slice of Life, Comedy

Synopsis:

This is a story about a little girl who lives in an old house in the mountains. Her name is Bincho-tan. Each episode depicts a day in the life of Bincho-tan as she prepares her breakfast in the morning, goes to the forest to gather vegetables, does her household chores and rests at night after a day's work. She is surrounded by a group of close friends who add color to her ordinary yet simple life.

Characters and Voice Actors:

- Main:

Binchou-tan

Binchou-tan, the main character in the anime, is a young girl who lives by herself in an old house far from town. As her name suggests, she often wears a piece of charcoal on her head. Each episode depicts a day in the life of Binchou-tan who needs to work in order to buy food and necessities.

She is assumed to be an orphan because she lives by herself, refuses to answer shopkeepers who ask where her mother is and keeps to her habits of greeting and farewelling herself when traveling. She apparently, also possesses the ability to change the size of her body. Normally she is the size of a small child, but in some cases she can shrink herself to for instance fit in a shoe or to ride on the back of a duck.

She also treasures clothing made by her grandmother which becomes a plot point in one episode. Binchou-tan is initially a very lonely person. Her birthday is on May 07.

- Nonaka, Ai (Japanese)

- Yeo, Min Jeong (Korean)

- Supporting:

Aroe

Aroe is a young girl whose hair is made of Aloe, which does not benefit her as she often requires water. Aroe does not often make direct contact with the other characters in the anime and her appearances are often a side story--although she encountered them at the final scene of the final episode.

Aroe's Aloe made hair, bursts many of her vinyl wading pools due to its sharpness. Aroe is often seen throughout the series in a dizzy state, sometimes due to needing water and on other occasions due to misfortune. Her birthday is on June 15.

- Saitou, Momoko (Japanese)

- Lee, Hyeon Jin (Korean)

Chiku-rin

Chiku-tan's younger sister. Chiku-rin often mimics Chiku-tan, but is unable to talk fluently due to her age. Her birthday is on August 6.

- Fukuen, Misato (Japanese)

- Kim, Seon Hye (Korean)

Chiku-tan

Chiku-tan is an enthusiastic person who enjoys inventing things and helping others. Her hair is held with a piece of bamboo charcoal and the end moves when she has ideas, usually during problems. The viewer sees that like Binchō-tan, Chiku-tan also lives far from town in an old house but lives with others, her younger sister, Chiku-rin and her grandfather. She is afraid of ghosts.