Boukyaku no Senritsu

Other Title:

The Melody of Oblivion

Type:

TV

Aired:

April 7, 2004 to September 22, 2004

Source:

Manga

Genres:

Adventure, Fantasy, Horror, Mecha, Psychological, Sci-Fi, Shounen, Space, Supernatural

Synopsis:

A great war occurred in the 20th century between humans and monsters. Since that time, the monsters rule the world in fear but keep relatively hidden from public view. A boy named Bokka ponders the past and wonders what became of the Meros Warriors who defended the world so bravely against the demons. He soon meets Kurofune and learns of the power of the Meros and the I-bar machines they ride in battle. Warriors are the only ones who can see and hear the Melody of Oblivion, a phantom girl hidden away waiting to be rescued and be the savior of mankind. During a battle between Kurofune and a demon, Bokka discovers something only his wildest dreams could possibly imagine...he too can hear that melody. Throughout his journeys, Bokka meets many monsters and their agents, friends, and companions as he discovers the true extent of his new powers. He must continue to battle evil in the hope of releasing Boukyaku no Senritsu and free a world that has forgotten its once beautiful melody.

Characters and Voice Actors:

- Main:

Koko Ninna-Nanna

Koko is a very young and playful Melos Warrior who leads insurgents in what she calls an "armed theatrical group" fighting against monster-run society. Koko is smarter than Bocca and more mature as a warrior, with an adult's sense of humour that somewhat compensates for her tragic past. She might be categorized as a dorodere and masegaki. Her last name is the Italian word for lullaby, and her special attack is Four Card (a reference to four-of-a-kind, a very good hand in Poker.)

- Tamura, Yukari (Japanese)

- Sheh, Stephanie (English)

- Calvell, Carmen (Spanish)

Toune Requiem

A quiet girl who is proficient with the bow. One will think that all Melos Warrior who find out about their powers would embrace their identities immediately, but not Toune's. She first appeared as someone who can fight monsters, produce a Singing Chord, and seems to know a great deal about Melos Warrior. All she seemingly lacks are the tattoo and an Aibar Machine. In her conversation with Bocca, Toune disclose her hatred for Melos Warriors, and despise what she calls the arrogance of those who ride on Aibar Machines.

Spoiler:

However, it soon becomes clear that her hatred for the Melos is a veneer to protect her from the truth that she is unwilling to accept: The boy she is in love with, Sky Blue, is really an Aibar Machine. After overcoming this, she finally slips into her role of a Melos warrior and mounts Sky Blue to travel to other places. Her tattoo is hidden on inner thigh of her right leg, explaining why Bocca thought she was not a Melos Warrior at first. Her Aibar is Sky Blue, an earlier model of the Unicorn-series. His first appearance in the series portrayed him to be a devil by Millionare Beaver. Her command for her Melos arrow is "Straight flush." Her bow is a wooden bow that she carries around.

- Kobayashi, Sanae (Japanese)

- Dickson, Tricia (English)

Bocca Serenade