Chapter 21

"So how's Shruti's honeymoon going?" My mother asked mischievously.

"According to her, Maldives is heaven and she wants her honeymoon period to never ends. If you know what I mean."

We both laughed out loud.
My mother is my friend to whom I can share my life and gossip others' lives as well. We both love to chit-chat a lot with a cup of tea. Well... I prefer coffee more. But at the moment I'm working my as off in Delhi. Duty calls!

"Are you coming to home this Christmas?" Mom asked.

"No Mom. Not this year. There is a grand celebration on Christmas Eve and no more leaves are left for now." I respond sadly. I don't want to miss the celebration at home.

"That's fine. It would have been more merrier in your presence. Achha, choose one of the dress from the ones I sent you on Whatsapp. I'll buy it immediately."

"You're late Mom. It's already done."

"Done? Which one did you bought?" She asked excitedly.

"That's a surprise! And you don't have to pay for it. Payment has been done by your daughter." I informed her like a mother to her child. Irony lol.

Till now she worries about price. It should be cheap and best. Father and I had told her numerous times to not look at the price tag. If you like it, buy it. But being a homemaker and accountant of our house, she has to abide by her 'cheap and best' rule. Mothers and their rules!!!

"Okay Mom got to go now. Lunch time is almost over."

"Sure. You go and I'll let you know about the delivery. Bye, take care."

"Of course! Bye Mom. You both take care."
------------------------------------------------------

I had missed the Christmas and New Year's Eve celebration for the first time. Though video conferencing relieved some of my pain. I'm very fond of the decorations on Christmas Tree and have been doing since thirteen years.

Two days before, Mom called and wanted me to come home soon as they have some important matter to discuss. They don't want to disclose that on phone. Therefore I thought to pay them a visit. One week visit.

So, right now I'm in my cosy room wearing comfortable pyjamas and top with minions on them munching on the spicy crunchy homemade Papad (crackers) with coffee. This is heaven!! Home is heaven! It feels good to be home. You don't have to worry about meals to cook, dishes to wash, laundary or any other household chores.

I'm wondering what it might be the problem for which they want me to be here. A chronic illness any one of them suffering from? Property related issue? Maybe a good news? Someone's pregnant? Nahh! They could've told me that on phone.

Chuck it! First I need to fill my bowl of crackers. I'm still hungry!
"Mumyyyy...!!!"
------------------------------------------------------

"Yuumm...this is so... I don't have words! Gulaab Jamun... I can die for you, baby!"
I moaned at the sweetness of the dessert as it dissolves into my taste buds. Papa knew how much I love those round-round soft balls coated with thick sugary liquid.

"Stop now! This is your fourth Gulaab Jamun Mahi!! Too much sweet is not good for health." Mom interrupted my Gulaab Jamun marathon. Yes. For her it's like one.

"It's okay, Jyoti. Let her eat. They are her favourite and it's not like she have them regularly." Papa took my side. I love you Papa! You only love me, I know!

"You, father-daughter! Do whatever you want to do! Nobody listens to me in this house." She murmured.

"Oh Mom!! I'll listen, pakka (promise)! Now tell, what you people want to 'discuss'?" I asked to both of them.

I was looking expectantly at them but suddenly they become quiet. Total pin-drop silence. The tick-tock of (metal-designed with silver polishing at the edges) large wall clock could be heard clearly. After two minutes of silence, Papa urged Mom to speak first with his weird eye looks. I can tell Dad.

"Ok Fine! I'm tired and going up to my room."

I pretend to stand on my place.

"No! Wait!" Papa hold my elbow to stop me. And ta-da it worked. I knew it. I smirked mentally.

"Yes Papa... You want to say something? Mummy, Papa why are you guys being reluctant? You know, you can share anything to your daughter. I can help." My tone soft at the end. I felt something is bothering them from their facial expressions. It's like...they are in some kind of dilemma.

"No! We don't need your help. I mean not at the moment. We...just want your consent."

Mom started gently, "You remember Shruti's wedding?" I nodded.
"You were looking so beautiful like a blossomed flower. A flower in it's peak of maturance and beauty." She smiled lightly.

I took her hands in between my slight moist palms and gave a tight smile. Don't know where this conversation is going. God! Give me some clue.

"That day not only your parents admired you but someone else too. And they asked your hand in marriage for their beloved son."

"What??!!" In astonishment my upper body recoiled to my original position which was slightly bent towards mother, leaving her hands in the process.
I have been expecting different scenarios but marriage?? That too "my marriage" ??

"Dear... Just listen to your mother completely. Then decide." My father compensated.

I nodded blankly.

"They're a very good and flourished family. Umm... The boy. The boy is good-looking and recently promoted to the Team-leader of his project in a prominent IT company. And the most important factor. They're our family friends and we know them from long. Even, you know them like your own."

"I know them?" I raised my eyebrows and scrunched my nose in confusion. Now I'm curious. Family friends? There are four families who are really close to us.

"Whom are you talking about?" I don't want to waste my energy in guessing if they are going to tell me now.

They let out a big sigh and give each other let's-tell-her-now look.
My father turned towards me and answered, "The Malhotra's. Your best-friend, Amar. Amar Malhotra."
____________________________________

That's the new year's first Chapter. Sorry for the delay friends.

Amar's marriage proposal for Mahi. What will be her reaction? Did Amar know about it?

Pic of Gulaab Jamuns in the media box😜
____________________________________

~Keep smiling~ 😊