Chapter 18

I quickly finished my makeup not over-doing it and half-clutched my straight-black hair, falling on my back till lower waist.
I carefully adjusted my chunni with safety pins so that not much of a skin will get exposed. Now comes the shawl part! Should I take it or not? I don't want to ruin my outfit with the shawl though it didn't look bad and is matching well to my attire. Okay! I'll hang it on my right shoulder. Just a minute to look myself in mirror. Great work Mahi! *patted shoulder mentally*

And suddenly the image of that awkward scene begin to play instead of my reflection. How can I be so stupid to think like that about my best-friend? Am I gone insane? Who does that? Get yourself straight Mahi! Just because you don't have a love life, you will go to the extent of behaving like a desperate woman who is in dire need of love? How disgusting! Amar is your best-friend and he deserves a better partner, not like YOU- who is rejected like millions of time. Not millions but you got the idea. Of course, I got the idea! What was I thinking? How can I feel comfortable and get lost in his arms? What he will think of me? I know...he will never judge me but he deserves a girl with beauty inside out. One who only meant for him. I'm nothing. A rejected, hopeless and broken soul who is doing fine with her adjustments in life. I had already accepted the fact that "Love is for lucky ones." I'm the unfortunate one.
A loud knock on the door gragged me out of my train of thoughts.

"You're still going to look like a monkey even if you take two more hours. So come out already Mahi, we're getting late." Amar shouted annoyingly.

There we go... Back to his annoying and arrogant and foolish self. Gorilla! Have no patience, at all!!

"Better than you gorilla" I retorted and glared while going downstairs.

"Where is Mummy and Pa?" I asked while locking the main gate.

"At the venue." He replied.
------------------------------------------------------

The open lawn was decorated wonderfully according to white and purple theme with the garlands of purple tulips and daisies. It was late afternoon time therefore decoration ligts were off.

"Where were you Mahi?" Shruti shouted gaining the nearer relatives' attention.
I pulled her aside not wanting more staring eyes.

"I'm sorry yaar! It's not totally my fault. It's his fault also!" I pointed towards Amar.

"Really? Last time I checked I was a boy who does not use cosmetics to hide his ugliness and waste two hours to make himself presentable." He attacked with a fake-high-pitched-girly voice as well as funny hand movements. That was funny! Hahaha...

"You are ugly-"

"Enough you two! Shut up! You both are already late. Mahi, you're the co-host with Priyanka(a cousin of Vishal Jiju) so you should be on stage right now. Go!" She ordered angrily.

"Sorry sorry! Don't be mad, please. Today is your Sangeet and I don't want to ruin your mood. Please cheer up." I pleaded.

"Yeah... I'm sorry too..." Amar apologised as well.

"It's okay. I'm not mad anymore. Now hurry!"

I smiled and ran off to back stage not before giving a 'will-see-you-later' look to Amar.
-----------------------------------------------------

Everyone was enjoying the dance and various appetizers till evening. There were a lot of relatives from both the families who performed. Some danced or sung.
Till Priyanka's performance I hosted the function and now it's my turn to perform.

"Now... The best-buddy of bride is here to set the stage on fire. Welcome her with huge round of applauds." Priyanka yelled.

I danced on the mashup of Bollywood songs starting with Ambarsariya, Second Hand Jawani, Leke Pehla Pehla Pyaar and ending it with Navrai Majhi.

"That was one terrific performance Mahi! What say people?"

And everyone answered her with another round of applauds but this time all the youngsters hooted with wolf-whistles.
Okay...that was some reaction. Hehehe...

"I knew you could dance but this well?" Amar asked from behind.

I jumped and placed my hand to my left side of chest.

"You scared me... And about that. Now any doubt?" I turned and asked back.

"Nah...not anymore. You really did some sexy moves there." He smirked.

"Thank you." I blushed.
What the hell? Why am I blushing? Stupid hormones!

We were standing at the back stage and it was dark evening so maybe he didn't noticed. Unanticipatedly, he came closer to my ear. I can feel his warm breath on my neck.Oh God! Control Mahi! He isn't effecting you! Remember he deserves better.

"You're looking breathtakingly beautiful like this daisy." He whispered and tucked a daisy in my hair at the back.
I again blushed but this time I'm sure even the semi-darkness couldn't hide it. I know my blush was that intense due to the feeling of hotness in my cheek and ears.
Loss of words. My only response. I couldn't even look towards his face. Like I was talking to green grass underneath my sandals. After a minute or so he walked past me when someone called his name.
I let out a breath I don't know was holding. Phew! He was complimenting as a best- friend. Like a boy should compliment his female friends. Yes. That's the reason. Nothing else.
____________________________________

A new update of March. I'm going to be busy this month. My birthday one of the reason 😝😝
So thought of updating now. Don't want to make my readers waiting for longer. Hope you will like it.

~Keep Smiling 😊~