Chapter 12

KENDRA

I hated ignoring Liv, but I needed time to sort out what I was almost positive I saw. I had spent the last two days trying to track Racheal in my spare time. It proved to be uneventful, until I saw her sit next to Liv in the park.

What the hell was she doing?

I watched them exchange words, before Racheal pulled Liv to her car. I quickly followed them, and was utterly confused to see the look on Liv's face after Racheal dropped her off.

Liv looked happy, like she'd found a new friend. But Racheal was selfish and manipulative. There was no way her intentions were good.

I waited until Liv went inside to continue following Racheal, but by then, I had lost her. I decided to go home, and do some research to prove my theory. I knew that Racheal had access to personal information through her profession, which would make it easy for her tamper with peoples' lives.

And her sudden interest in Liv could explain why the last few weeks had been crazy.

I logged onto my computer, and searched for Liv's traffic court case. Nothing about the transcript jumped out at me, until I came across the presiding judge. I Googled the name, and felt my stomach drop when I clicked the link to the bio.

It was Mickey.

I had only met her a few times, but I knew Michelle was Racheal's best friend, and the two of them were known for abusing their positions of power for their own benefit.

I reviewed the case again, and decided to search the name of the officer involved. He was assigned to the precinct that worked closely with Racheal's branch office. Which meant Racheal probably had him in her pocket as well.

If Racheal could do all this, then what else was she capable of? Then, I thought about the pictures that Liv showed me. It had Racheal's name all over it. I don't know why it didn't occur to me before.

I needed to talk to Racheal, try to figure out why she was suddenly back, and so interested in Liv. But first, I needed to talk to Liv, and see how much information she shared with Racheal.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

The next day was annoyingly busy, and I barely had time to formulate what I was going to say to Liv when I saw her. I was deep in thought, trying to organize my words, when I felt a pair of hands grip my shoulders.

"You look incredibly tense today. Is there trouble at home?" Cherri whispered in my ear. I felt her warm breath before she gently kissed my earlobe as she massaged my shoulders.

My stomach turned in disgust.

I jerked my head away, "Cherri, I told you, I'm not interested. Please, leave me alone." I tried to remain as calm as possible. The last thing I wanted was to cause a scene at work, jeopardizing my career. Cherri, however, didn't seem to care.

She spun me around in my chair, and straddled my lap, "Come on, Kenny," she rolled her eyes. "You've been moping around here for the last two days. It's obvious your little straight girl isn't doing what she should be doing. I've already told you, all you have to do is ask, and I'd fix that," she ran her finger across my jaw.

"You've got five seconds to remove yourself. Or I'll do it for you," I warned her, my eyes narrowing as my jaw tightened. She smugly returned my gaze.

"I think I'll chose option number two, please," she grinned. I gripped her hips, careful not to use too much force, and lifted her off my lap. I stood simultaneously, placing her at arms length.