Chapter 8

RACHEAL

I entered the courthouse, located my desired courtroom, and sat in the back row. I was earlier than necessary, but I wanted to make sure I didn't miss anything.

About twenty minutes after I arrived, the back door swung open, and in walked Olivia Grace Taylor. She was dressed appropriately, wearing a black knee length skirt, a white blouse, and modest black heels.

None of that mattered though, because the look on her face was priceless.

She obviously received the text message that I sent her, and it seemed as though it caused some trouble in paradise. She looked exhausted; like she was currently just going through the motions.

We waited as the judge went through her list, calling forth the scheduled cases alphabetically. After a boring thirty minutes, it was finally Olivia's turn.

"Taylor," Judge Walker called out.

Olivia rose to her feet, gathered her belongings, and walked forward to her designated podium. "In the case of parking ticket number 175009463, how do you plead?" the Judge demanded.

"Not guilty, Your Honor," Olivia timidly answered.

Judge Walker ruffled through some papers, then turned to Allen, "Officer Nichols, would you please explain to the Court why you issued a ticket in the amount of $90 to Ms. Taylor?"

"Well, Your Honor, she failed to adhere to a stop sign, failed to signal before making a turn, and exceeded the speed limit by 20 miles per hour in a residential area," Allen stated. Judge Walker made a show of reviewing the documents she had placed before her.

"Ms. Taylor, you're here today to dispute the dollar amount, not the violations, correct?" she peered at Olivia over her glasses.

"Yes, Your Honor, I– "

"Ms. Taylor," the Judge cut Olivia off, "Based on the violations stated by Officer Nichols, the dollar amount in question is justified. You are required to pay the amount in full before the end of the day. Failure to do so will result in the suspension of your license."

"But–" Olivia tried.

"I've made my decision–" the Judge began.

"Your Honor, please–" Olivia interrupted.

"Ms. Taylor, I will not tolerate outbursts in my Courtroom! Therefore, I am ordering you to pay twice the original amount, and your license is hereby suspended for the next thirty days," Judge Walker ruled.

"Bailiff, please remove her from my Court!" she yelled. I watched as he ushered Olivia towards the door. Thankfully, I was seated on the opposite side of the courtroom, because I wouldn't have been able to explain why I was so amused.

Once the final case concluded, I exited the courtroom, and headed down the hall. I found the office I was looking for, and knocked on the door. "You may enter," a voice called out from the other side. I let myself in, closing the door behind me.

The Honorable Judge Michelle Walker stood from her chair to hug me. "Hey Rach! Did you enjoy the show?" she asked with a knowing smirk.

"You have no idea Mickey! It took all of my power not to laugh when you suspended her license. I've never seen someone so dazed and confused," I replied with a giggle.

Michelle offered me a chair as she returned to her seat, "I was only trying to make sure she doesn't disobey the law, ever again. Did you send her the pictures?" she eagerly inquired.

"Yep. And judging by how she carried herself today, I think it's safe to say that she and Kenny are not doing so well," I proudly stated.

"Girl, you are too much! I'm just glad that we're best friends, I would hate to ever be on your bad side," Michelle laughed.

I shrugged my shoulders, "What can I say? I'm a girl who knows what she wants, and is willing to do whatever it takes to get it. Regardless of who's in my way."

"I get it. Just let me know if there is anything else that you need me to do. It gets boring around here sometimes," Michelle offered. "So, what else is in store for Ms. Taylor?" she asked.

"I have something that I'm currently working on. Once I have more details, I'll fill you in," I replied.