Chapter 2

OLIVIA

Being with Kenny brought so much joy to my life. She was passionate, attentive, genuine, and the laughter we shared always brightened my days.

There were a few adjustments in the beginning, as there are with all relationships. She was more meticulous than I was, preferring things to be a certain way. I was a little more easygoing than she, allowing things to happen, and adapting to them accordingly. I thought that we balanced each other well, and based on the way she interacted with me, I was inclined to believe that Kenny felt the same.

We had graduated to the stage of having a reserved drawer at our respective residences with a few of the necessities required for spending the night. I had never been happier.

However, a strange sequence of events began to occur, leaving me more than confused.

After spending a blissful evening with Kenny, I left her house the next morning for work.

About halfway through the drive, I noticed red and blue lights flashing in my rear view mirror, along with the customary alert siren. I signaled, merging into the next lane to make way for the officer to pass. However, he mirrored my movements.

Odd.

I signaled once more, and pulled over to an open area at the curb. The officer followed me again, and parked behind me.

My anxiety began to rise as I tried to think of what I did to cause this. I reached for my license and registration, in preparation of the exchange. Shortly after we pulled over, he exited his vehicle and approached my driver's side window.

"Good morning, officer," I greeted him.

"License and registration, please?" he curtly replied.

"Of course," I said handing him the requested documentation. I didn't want to agitate him, so I kept quiet, waiting for his next instruction.

He proceeded to his vehicle, where I assumed he was running my information through his system to check if I had a prior record. Luckily for me, I've never had an issue with law enforcement. After a few minutes, he returned.

"Do you know why I stopped you today?" he inquired.

"Honestly, sir, I'm not sure," I answered.

"You blew through a stop sign a few blocks back, failed to signal before turning, and were exceeding the speed limit," he informed me. I looked at him with surprise as I tried to remember doing all of those things.

I had made the trip from Kenny's house to the bakery numerous times, and had never had an issue. But, I guess I could have been preoccupied with my thoughts.

"If you had only committed one of those infractions, I would let you off with a warning. However, I have to issue you a ticket," he said handing me the marked piece of paper.

"Be more careful," he concluded before returning to his vehicle. I waited for him to leave before continuing to the cake shop. I parked my car, and took a deep breath as I reviewed the ticket.

$90! What the hell?

There was no way that I should have been fined that much. I sighed deeply as I tried to calm myself. I had a business to run, and I would deal with it later.

The morning rush was like any other day, and I tried my best not to let my rough start effect my attitude. I didn't have much of an appetite by lunch, but was pleasantly surprised when Kenny walked through the door. I could already feel my day turning around.

"Hey, babe," she said, "I thought I'd bring you lunch." She handed me a brown paper bag which contained my favorite panini. She always remembered the little things.

"Thanks, love," I pecked her on the cheek. "Are you staying, or do you have to get back to work?" I asked her. She held up another brown bag that I hadn't noticed and smiled at me. I led her back to my office.

She told me of her morning, which consisted of the usual Cherri story. That woman amused me with her failed attempts of luring Kenny away from me. When she finished, I filled her in on my morning.

"Really? He gave you a $90 ticket?" she asked with the same level of confusion I had been feeling. "You should fight it," she suggested.

"I was thinking the same thing, but I don't know. I guess I could have been distracted," I rationalized.

"Liv, you're way too nice. You know that he was being an asshole. I bet if you challenge it, it'll work out in your favor," she said as she finished her sandwich.

She had a way of bringing to my attention when I was being a push over, and I loved her for it. "What would I do without you?" I smiled at her.

"You'd be missing out on things like this," she replied as she leaned in and kissed me.

Kissing Kenny had become one of my favorite pass times. Regardless of how many times she kissed me, it always felt just as good as the first time. I melted into her soft lips and the kiss heated up quickly. I could already feel the dampness in my underwear. I pushed her away before things went a step too far.

"We should both get back to work," I said breathlessly, "Before this gets too intense."

Her eyes had darkened to a deep honey, which was the telltale sign of her arousal. She used that dangerous smirk of hers as she replied, "Or, I'm sure you have some extra frosting lying around that can be put to good use."

I felt my face flush as it instantly became unbearably warm in my office. She must have noticed me blush, chuckling at my reaction to her statement. Damned tease.

"Okay," I said standing up to open the door before she had a chance to take me right there on my desk, "There will be none of that here." She rolled her eyes while standing to follow me to the front of the shop.

"Fine, but you won't get away so easily tonight," she kissed me one last time before leaving. I shook my head and laughed to myself.

That woman is going to be death of me.