Chapter 19

A/N: This chapter is very sad 😭💔

An hour later Soda returned and Darry didn't even look up from his bills.

   "I didn't want anyone to get hurt." Soda said as he stood in the doorway between the kitchen and the living room.

   "What's done is done and it ain't changing Soda." I had never heard Darry so angry. I saw Soda pull out his switch blade. Darry didn't notice, but I did. "SODA NO!" I screamed. Everything stopped. It was silent and in slow motion. Then it went fast. Darry looked up just as he plunged the knife into his abdomen.

Darry jumped up so fast the chair flipped over and was down at Sodas side in seconds yelling at me to call the ambulance as I grabbed the phone.

The ambulance arrived in seconds and he was taken away. I saw the note he had in his hand on the floor. I picked it up and read it.

Dear gang,
I'm sorry about the pain I've caused all y'all. But I'll be seeing Johnny and Mom and Dad soon enough. Well here are my last words.

Steve- thanks for being my best friend. It was real fun working with you.

Two- please take care of Shy for me. Don't let anyone hurt her and always be there for her. You've been a great buddy.

Pony- I'll be watching over you from above. Stay in school and keep up those grades. Love you.

Darry- take care of Pony and Shy and make sure they stay safe. I love you.

Shy- this was the hardest to write. I don't wanna say goodbye sis I can't leave but I've done some bad stuff. I love you forever and always.

With love,
Sodapop.P.Curtis

I ran over to the phone and dialed Steve's number. He picked up. "Ya." He grunted. "Sodas attempted suicide!" I bawled and he went silent. "I'll be over in five." He choked out.

I dialed Two next. "Sup." He chuckled. "Sodas attempted to kill himself." The shock was taking over and I was calming down. "Be there soon." He said and hung up.

I dialed the phone number to the hotel Dal and Pony were in. "Hello Peru inn. How may I help you." I took a deep breath. "Hi yes I would like to speak to a Ponyboy Curtis in room 213." She switched lines over and Ponyboy grunted. "Pony you need to get home. Sodas in the hospital. He attempted suicide. "We are on our way home we'll meet you at the hospital." I hung up and Steve and Two arrived.

    I shut the house door and ran out jumping into Twos car as Steve climbed in the back.

    We raced to the hospital. We got there and rushed in. We found Darry in the waiting room just as Dally and Pony flew through the doors.

    No one knew how he was. A nurse came out, "Sodapop Curtis?" She looked taken aback when 5 guys who looked tough as nails and one girl who looked tuff turned to her.

    "He wants to see his sister." She looked at me and I nodded following her to his room.

She opened the door to his room and closed it behind me. "Soda?" My voice was barely a whisper.

"Shy." His voice was hoarse. He was bandaged above his waist. "I'm so sorry." I sat in the chair next to his bed.

    "It's okay Soda." I whispered. "It's all gonna be okay."

  Soda made a recovery within 2 weeks and everybody made up. I was starting to have nightmares but never said anything.

*Dream*

I couldn't speak. I couldn't breathe. I struggled against whatever had me. Then it all stopped. I looked beside me and Darry was floating next to me in the water. I screamed and I heard voices yelling.

*Dream End*

"Shy....shhhh Babygirl it's all okay." I was pulled into the nearest pair of arms and I knew immediately it was Soda.

"I want Darry." I choked out through cries. Darry came over and took me from Soda.

"I've gottcha babygirl its all alright now. Nothin bads gonna get ya I promise." He ended up sleeping with me because I was to afraid to stay alone. I tucked my small figure into his large one with my head resting on his chest. I let the soothing pang of his heart beat lull me to sleep.

I didn't wake up the rest of the night. I woke up the next morning, rolling over and snuggling into Darry's arms. Who was apparently still asleep. "HEY GUYS!" Dal I closed my eyes and just rested against Darry until I felt a slush in my stomach.

I shot up and ran for the bathroom, ignoring Darry who was now calling my name. I just made it to the bathroom when I hit my knees in front of the toilet.

   I felt the reject coming up my throat and I had my head in the bowl when I heard heavy foots steps and someone grab my hair.

   I started dry heaving and sweat and tears poured down my face. "Darry...Soda...Pony...make it stop!" I cried out from between heaves.

    "Shhhh Babygirl it's okay....it's okay." Darry's baritone voice  soothed me. I was becoming disoriented.

    I heard the door slam and a confused voice ask. "Where's everyone at." And another voice answer. "Up here!"

    I started to feel the vile work it's way back up my throat and I dove for the porcelain bowl, just barely making it.

After I empty out my stomach for a second time the dry heaving returned. I was violently jerking.

   I was so disoriented at this point. The only thing I knew was Someone's hand running circles on my stomach.

    After the dry heaving subsided I fell back into any arms that would take me. They lifted me up and took me to my bedroom. I heard them go to leave.

    "Stay...." I whispered. "I can't Shy I've got a job interview." It was Two. "I don't wanna be alone."

   "Dal stay with her." I heard an I argument and Dal got into the bed next me. I snuggled into him and Two walked over, said a quick threat to Dal, and then kissed my head before leaving.

I passed out from exhaustion. Letting all my weight sink into the bed.