Chapter 15

"Because I'm not like you....I'm not like Soda....and I'm not like Darry goddamnit!" I screamed at Pony.

       "Well ya need to learn to be smart about what ya are doin!" He yelled back "You can't just go walk out into street fights...one day Shyanne your gonna get your ass kicked and I won't be there when you do." That was it...I knew Pony hated me...I swung hard, my fist connecting with his jaw and he fell.

        "I was taught at a young age to be stone cold and self-reliant, to hold myself high and poised, with a ready smile and a subtle charm ready to conquer the world. So I learned from early on to only cry behind closed doors, on dim lights, without sound, to howl in pain silently, and to never ask for help." I paused as he stared at me from his spot on the floor. "Because when no one sees you suffer, do you really suffer? Much like when a tree falls in the forest and no one is around to hear it, does it make a sound? I can always pretend that whatever pains me, never happened, and I can always go back and face the world, pretending I'm okay...so fuck you to Ponyboy Curtis."

       I stormed out of the house and to Curlys place, I needed out of the house. Away from Pony.

     I was walking and next thing I knew I was on the ground with Alex straddling me. I was only fifty yards from Curlys.

       "CURLY....TIM....HELP." I screamed before Alex stopped me by placing a blade to my throat.

"Hush now little girl." I struggled under his grip. I had no chance. It was him and two other greaser guys that I had seen around.

I let out a whimper, closing my eyes, and stopped struggling. He started to kiss my jawline and made his way down to my neck when he was suddenly ripped away from me. I opened my eyes to find Tim Shepard, Curly, and two members of the Shepard outfit had come to my rescue.

One of the Shepard outfit, who wasn't fighting anyone at the moment, noticed I was frozen in shock and yelled over to Curly. "Hey! The girl's not movin over here! You take her and I'll get this idiot." He pulled Curly away from the guy he was punching and went at him.

Curly ran over and picked me up bridal style. He carried me away from the yelling and fighting. I stuck my head in his chest and clung to him.

Bang bang bang. I jumped out of Curlys arms and whirled around to see two of the Shepard outfit chasing the three guys way but there was a body on the ground. Tim.

My stomach hit the floor and before I knew what I was doing I was running to him. "TIM.....TIM..."

I hit the ground beside him and was filled with relief as he looked at me and grinned. "We gots em good eh girly." He had a bullet hole through his shoulder.

     "Tim..." I whispered. I took off my sweatshirt and placed it over the bullet hole, telling Tim to apply pressure as the other two helped him up.

       I turned back to Curly "who are they?" I whispered "That's Jack Markson." He pointed to the guy who had told Curly to get me out of there. He was tall with medium skin and had light brown hair.

      "And that's Mason Marona." He pointed to the blonde boy who had an Italian look to him "he's from Italy but lost his accent." In wooded and we walked back to his house.

      Once inside I instructed Mason to get me a first aid kit, Jack to keep applying pressure to Tim's wound, and Tim to sit on the couch and relax.

        "Thanks." I said as Mason handed me the first aid kit. I pulled the bullet out as Tim wailed like a baby, "AWWW FUCK HURRY UP DAMN IT."  I pulled it out and he screamed again. "Tim...Tim...TIMOTHY JAMES SHEPARD LOOK AT ME." He stopped fussing and looked at me, wide eyed.

      I let my voice soften again "just relax....you're gonna bleed more if ya tense up okay?" He nodded and I went back to work.

      I pulled out the gauze and stuffed some down in his wound before wrapping his arm all the way from his shoulder to his elbow in medical wrap.

      "Okay Tim just stay out of action for a few days alright." He grumbled and I smacked him upside the head "alright?" My voice stern and he nodded.

I walked over and sat on the couch next to Curly. "I should go call home...I stormed out and told Pony Fuck you." I laid my head on his shoulder and he put his arm around me.

"Yeah ya should Chick." I got up and walked over to the phone.

Three rings. "Hello?" "Shit." I muttered. "Give the phone to Darry or Soda Pony." He grumbled something and I heard voices.

       "Hello?" It was Darry. "Hey Huggie just wanted to let you know I'm okay.....I'll explain everything when I get home...I'll be home in time for dinner....love you guys...minus Pony." I tried to make the last part inaudible.

      "I know your mad Shy...I mean we heard you yell fuck you from a block down." I chuckled "but we are all we've got left." He sighed "see ya at dinner...love ya bye." "Bye" I hung up.

    I walked over and sat down on the couch and me and Curly went back to our previous position.

      "Wanna play strip poker?" Tim looked around and we all nodded. I sat in between Tim and Curly.

      "Damn it!" I yelled as I lost..again! I pulled off my shirt, leaving me sitting there in my shorts and my sports bra. Curly and Tim were in their boxers, Mason was shirtless, and Jack had everything on still.

     We played another round and once again I lost. Shit. I would have to take off my shorts. "Okay! Let's play something else." Curly said seeing how uncomfortable I was.

     After sitting baryons for a bit Mason volunteered to walk me home but I shook my head and dragged Curly out with me.

     "Why didn't you wanna go with Mason?" Curly asked as we approached my house. "He gives me a weird vibe." We walked up the front steps.

      "Thanks Bull." I hugged him. "No problem Chick." We held the hug for a few seconds before saying goodbye.

      I walked in the house with Curly on my mind. Then I remembered. Shit I have to sort stuff out with Pony. "Hey Dar hey Soda...Ponyboy." I acknowledged him.

      "Okay Shy tell me your side of the story." I nodded and went on a speil.

      "And then I said Fuck you too Ponyboy Curtis. And walked out." I shrugged and Darry sat there wide eyed and Soda had his mouth wide open.

"I don't know I just....ahhh." I hit the floor on my knees and Soda was down beside me in seconds. Their faces were sliding in and out of focus. I tried to hold on to reality but the last thing I remembered was "She's dying and fast."

*one week later*
"How am I doc?" I asked. I had just woken up. I had a brain anurism. "Well your blood pressure is back to normal and everything seems to be stable so you should be able to leave by tomorrow." I smiled and he returned it.