Chapter 14

Soda and I were let out the next day. We went home and celebrated. We were up until 1:00 in the morning before we all went to bed.

"Bubby?" I whispered as I stepped out into the dim light of the kitchen. But when I saw Darry I slid quietly into a corner so the darkness consumed me. He sat a the table slowly letting the tears slide down his face.

He put his face in his hands and I took that as my opportunity to leave without being seen. I stood up. Creak. "Damn floorboards." I whispered "Shy?" I turned around and looked at Darry. He stood up and I ran over and hugged him.

He picked me up and I held on tighter and started crying. He carried me into the leaving room and sat on the couch.

"Shy, please don't leave....you're the last pure thing left in this family...You and maybe Soda...We were there at the finish line...we were cheering until we heard the ring of a gunshot.... we saw the car flip and I had to hold Two from running after it. I was the first one to reach the car when it stopped.... I busted out Sodas window and he was yelling to get you first and he fell unconscious. I had Dal pull him out and he wasn't too bloody...when I pulled you out everyone lost it...you were bloody, unconscious, and we didn't think you were alive. When we got tot the hospital and found out Soda was in a coma it was hard, but when you went in it was hell for all of us. I love you Shy....I always will." I clung even tighter. "I love you too Darry." And that's where we fell asleep.

"Shhhhhh you're gonna wake them." Snap. "Perfect." I opened my eyes and the gang stood huddle around something. I jumped up on Twos back to see what it was. "Oof..hey sleeping beauty's up." I looked at a photo of me and Darry snuggled on the couch. Darry was laying on the couch and I was snuggled up on his chest.

Soda handed it to me. "Here...there's a frame on your bed." I jumped down off Twos back and ran up to my room and found the frame as I heard the door open and close and a muffled voice.

   "Munchkin Curlys here!" Darry called up the steps. "Send him up." I yelled back. I heard pounding footsteps. Then I was tackled by Curly as he hugged. "Cur...crushing...breathe." I gasped and he let go apologizing. I turned on my bed and sat facing the little table next to my bed.

    I crossed my legs and looked at the pictures. Curly put his legs on either side of mine from behind and his head on my shoulder with his arms wrapped around my stomach.

"Tell me about them." He said as he looked over the pictures. I nodded and began to explain.

"This one." It was a picture of me, Soda, Pony, and Darry In the bed of the truck with weird faces.

*July 19, 1961*
"Come on Darry!" Dad yelled as they ran through the field. "Ya come on Darryl!" A 5 year old me yelled. Darry laughed and picked me up. "Come on boys get in the truck for a picture." My mom called.

We all jumped in the bed. A 12 year old Darry holding a five year old me, and an 8 year old Soda with a 6 year old Pony on his back.

"Smile!" We all made funny faces as my mom took the picture as my parents laughed.

****

     "What about that one?" He asked pointing to a picture of A 12 year old Soda holding a 9 year old me on his shoulders. "Ahhh-"

   *June 18 1965*

        "Bubbs put me on ya shoulders." I giggled as he picked me up and set me on his shoulders. My dad came over with the camera and a picture.

                          ***

"So what'd ya come over for?" I asked him leaning back into him. "I wanted to see you." I smiled and caught sight of a photo of me and Curly from second grade. I laughed softly and we just sat in a comfortable silence.

We apparently fell asleep because I woke up to Soda and Darry chucklin "Best friends since they was babies eh Dar?" I heard someone laugh but i hadn't opened my eyes yet "ya Two they've been friends forever...mom and Diane Shepard were friends since highschool." "She's gonna love that picture." I heard Soda say.

"I sat up and saw that I was laying next to Curly in the middle of the bed. I looked at the boys and Soda handed me a picture. We were laying on the bed and Curly had his arms wrapped around me.

"Thanks Bubby." I got up and hugged him. I ran over and did an Indian screech before jumping criss cross on the bed next to Curly. He woke up and laughed "why ya always doin that when imma sleepin Chick?" I had a habit of going over to the Shepard's in the morning while Curly was sleeping and wake him up like that.

"Cause it's fun that's why." I told him and we laughed and went down stairs.