70: The Moment of Silence

My vision is blurry, but I manage to understand I'm looking at a concrete ceiling. I hear a few metal steps as I blink.

"Cae..-? Oh Primus, Jolt!"
The steps rush away. It takes more than a few seconds for my ey- optics... to focus. I can feel them spin, and even that hurts.
This can't be happening.

"Cael?" A soft voice calls me, his steps coming closer. I turn my head and wince. I blink a few more times, looking at the blue mech standing before the berth I'm on. My sight becomes clear as his blue optics watch me in concern. I know him.
A shining relieving happiness takes over my hurt body, making me, for a moment, forget about the pain.

"Jolt...?" I manage to breathe out, hope coating every word. This can't be true, he... he's alive? I feel the corner of my lips slightly tug upwards.
He smiles, and another blue Autobot comes closer, stepping beside the medic. He smiles brightly too. I frown a bit as I recognise him. "Wait... Evac?"
His smile grows as he nudges Jolt's arm.

"I told you she would recognise us"
I try to sit up, but stings of pain run through every part of me. Both of them instantly step forward to stop me.

"Take it easy, Cael, you're recovering" Jolt gently places his servo on my shoulder. I grit my teeth, waiting for the pain to fade away.

"I thought you were..." I notice that even my voice is slightly different now. "I thought you were dead..."
Evac immediately looks down, while Jolt gives me a small sad smile. I see the pain in their optics, and guilt stings my mind.

"Believe us, we thought we were dead too..." Evac mutters, crossing his arms.

"When the Autobots came to my house, I didn't see you there... and, I was afraid of the answer I might've got if I asked..-"

"It's okay, Cael." Jolt softly rubs my arm, his optics spin, and it takes me back to when things were easier. It takes me back to the time they were all alive... When one of these two would drop me off at school because my parents were busy, even when that was against NEST rules. While I never truly spent time with the main team, I know the two 'Bots in front of me. They were the ones that accompanied my dad's team. They had smaller missions, but I'm sure just as important as the ones Lennox's team had. I remember even my mother chatted with Jolt when we had to attend a ceremony at one of the bases. I remember that if our car stopped working, my dad would call one of them to help us. I remember Evac loved making my brother smile when he transformed. I remember they tried to assure us that my father was going to be alright every time they went off to a mission out of Oregon...

I also remember how hard I tried to forget them.
After the battle of Chicago, I never got a word of them. I didn't know what had happened, or where they were... They just seemed to vanish. Everyone assumed they died... So I tried to forget, because losing my family was hard enough. Because every time they got into my mind, I would see them laughing with my dad, returning all scathed from battle. Because every time they got into my mind I would remember that I had also lost the two Autobots that could keep my father's memory.

"I'm so glad you're alive..." My voice cracks, and it makes Evac unfold his arms and come closer to kneel down next to me.

"Hey, we're glad you are alive" He smiles.

"I'm sorry I didn't..-"

"No no, you have nothing to be sorry about" He interrupts me. "We should've contacted you earlier" he looks up at Jolt and they share a knowing look I don't get to understand.
I look at them and finally notice how hurt they are too. There are countless scratches on their paint jobs, they both have rusted parts on their gears, dents decor their armours, and I notice there something odd on Evac's arm, I don't quite know what, but I'm sure it's there. It hurts me seeing them like this.
A sudden deep pain strikes my chest, making me cry out.