1: Endings Lead to New Beginnings

I scream. Sweat runs down my back and forehead, my hands tremble and my breath is heavy. Everything is blurry around me, my head hurts. Where am I? What is going on? Feeling pressure on my chest, I place my hand on top of it and feel my pounding heart through my skin. Fear cripples through my blood and mind, feeding the confusion overwhelming my thoughts.

I can see light, a door, windows... I look down, I'm in a bed, w-what? It's my bed... that's my closet, and the door of my room, and my windows.

My mind slowly gets cleared up as I run a hand through my hair, feeling it sticky and all messed up; I close my eyes for a moment, but I'm forced to open them up again, for the images flash in my mind whenever I close my eyes. My teeth chatter not in coldness, but in fear. I look around, trying to set myself in reality, trying to make all the screams go away, wishing this could all just go away.

Wishing I wasn't waking up the same way I've been waking for the past two years....

Alone.

I remember when I had dreams. When I could picture myself flying, or in a mystic land where anything could be possible. But now I'm stuck with the same nightmare; with only slight differences every night. Though it's no nightmare; Only a tragic memory that haunts my sleep.

I squint as the sunlight coming from my open curtains hits my eyes. It's always the same. I wake up screaming, with no one around to hear; the sunlight always being the one to bring me back to reality; and I always wish this wasn't true.

But it is.

I look outside, and see the small blue car resting on the side of the house, and in the moment my gaze lands on it, a sting of mental pain strokes my temples. That car was parked outside our old apartment when.. when it all happened.

My whole body shaking, I place my feet on the ground, catching my breath. It's funny how even the slightest detail can bring out so many memories. It can be the sound of a metal ruler falling to the ground, or an engine roar that echoes too loud, or an insignificant blue car that's parked outside, but it will instantly take me back to that unforgettable moment.

After all, you don't get to see your family get killed by a giant robot every day.

-)././.(-

I lock the door behind me and put the keys inside my jacket. As I go down the tiny set of stairs on the entrance of the house, my mind swarms with silent thoughts, something I'm honestly used to. My mind's never silent, no matter what I try, it always thinks. Sometimes I can't even listen to my thoughts, but I know they're there; like having a TV on without actually paying attention to the program; you know it's on, you can listen to the noise even, but you can't actually figure out any word.

I head towards the car parked on the grass, pressing the button on the keys to unlock the doors. The smell of rainwashed pines and fresh lawn fills my nostrils, giving me a second of peace. Looking up at the now clear sky, I take a deep breath, wishing I could just merge with the forest and forget about everything. I simply stand there for a moment, eyes closed, calm breathing.

But my mind is back at it again, bringing me back to reality, making me look down at the car before me. I can't help but sigh, stepping closer to the vehicle; but before I'm able to get inside, my cell phone rings, startling me.

Looking down at the screen, I answer.

"Hello?"

"Hey, Cael, how are you?" It's Daniel, my best friend. He always begins the conversation with that, even though he knows I won't tell him the truth, or avoid the subject, he still asks.

"I'm okay" I reply, even when we both know I'm lying. "Gonna get rid of my car today, wanna come?"

"You..-? Why?" He asks, clearly confused at the sudden announcement.