34. Love is Pain

— • —

— • —

If Orion wasn't crying before, she certainly was when she met the cold eyes of the man who raised her. She could feel her entire body begin to shake as he took in the scene before him, his eyes trailing over each and every individual stood in shock, before ultimately settling on her.

His eyes noticeably darkened as he stood straighter. "So you took part in this," he scoffed.

Orion quickly shook her head. "I didn't. I promise I didn't, I'd never be capable of something like this, you have to believe me."

"Then why is his blood on your clothing? Explain that to me, Orion." Her name rolled off his tongue like poison, and Orion could feel her heart clench at the sound of it.

"Mr.Baxter, this was all me," Kelsey blurted, stepping forward as his features hardened. "Orion had absolutely no part in this-"

"And yet she's here," he snapped, Kelsey visibly flinching. "She's here, you're all here, there's a beaten man on the floor and she's covered in blood."

Orion watched with baited breathe as Baxter stepped forward to further examine the beaten man on the floor. He glared at the four as he walked past them, Mateo's chest tightening as another wave of tears threatened to spill over at the sight of it. Without thinking, he moved further away from his sister and closer to Tom, grabbing onto his friend's hand and squeezing tightly. Orion bit the inside of her cheek when Baxter kneeled beside the man, grabbing his chin to turn his head and examine him.

"Richard Quinten." A wave of recognition washed over Orion's face at the name, and in an instant, she was turning to Kelsey with her lips parted in surprise. "That's who this man is, correct?"

Kelsey swallowed harshly. "Yes."

Baxter stood up, his arms crossing over his chest, eyes narrowed at Kelsey. "And what was your intention here, Miss Garcia?" Kelsey opened her mouth to respond, but fell silent as she was met with a glare. "Did you believe we'd let you off the hook because of your chosen victim? Hm? Because I can guarantee you that is certainly not going to happen."

Mateo coughed, bringing all eyes to him. "W-Who is Richard Quinten?"

"Infamous leader of the Do Gooders," Orion breathed out, her eyes trailing over the man's unrecognizable face. "He's heavily guarded at all times, so it's been impossible for him to be found despite the angels best efforts."

"So how was Kelsey Garcia able to penetrate his security and do this to him?" Orion paled as he rounded on her, catching her in her lie. "She's with them, isn't she?"

"I can explain-"

"I gave you the chance to explain!" Orion tensed up as he raised his voice, a new fire in his eyes. "I gave you the chance to own up when Clover was detained and you didn't. How do you expect me to trust you now?" Those words brought a pain to Orion's chest, and tears gathered in her eyes once more. "I raised you to be an angel, not a rebel. And if she decides she wants to be a rebel, then she'll be treated like one."