16. Loser

— • —

— • —

Tom let out a groan as the curtains of his bedroom were tugged open, the sunlight shining directly in his eyes. "It's literally 12, what did you and Orion do that made you stay up so late?" Mateo's voice rang clear, despite Tom tugging the covers over his head.

The previous day was spent with Orion, much like every other day. Ever since the two decided to completely turn over another leaf for the remainder of the month, it seemed like everyday was spent with each other. Not that Tom minded, seeing as he was the one that always summoned her in the first place. He realized that Mateo was right, it was really hard to not like Orion once you got to know her. And now that he finally did get a chance to know her, he found himself oddly attached.

Nobody would think that the two were once at each other's throat with the way they acted. Orion had long strayed away from her "angelic tasks" of showing Tom around his new home, and just became Tom's go to friend. She'd bring popcorn to nights where he wanted her to watch his favorite movies from when he was alive. He'd help her sort files she brought home into alphabetical order while she ordered takeout for them. There'd even been the odd late night where Tom summoned her for the sole sake of venting, memories of his family rushing back to him on that particular night. It made him wish that night on the hill had happened sooner, because having Orion as a friend was something he didn't know he needed, and now didn't want to be without.

"We watched the entirety of the Scary Movie series," Tom muttered, feeling Mateo sink into his bed as he sat down. "What do you want, Mateo? You only wake me up to tease or ask a favor."

"Well-"

"You would have teased already, so what's the favor?" He tugged the covers down, squinting at the boy sitting at the foot of his bed. Pushing himself up, he sighed as Mateo's eyes immediately darted down. "Mateo, eyes up here."

The boy grinned at him, kicking off his shoes to sit cross legged on the bed. "Has Orion mentioned Kelsey at all?"

Tom's face fell at the mention of the girl, the same girl he's been avoiding at all costs. He'd turn away if he saw her walking in his direction, afraid of what would happen if she did approach him. After her argument with Orion in his house, he had a feeling their interaction would be anything but kind, seeing as his silence unintentionally made him side with Orion. Not that he would want to side with Kelsey, after all, she made him feel special when her true intentions were just to use him for his name. The last thing he should be doing was feeling bad for her, but he was in Heaven, it was against his nature to not feel sympathy for the girl.

"She has," He admitted, standing from the bed, feeling Mateo's eyes following him. "But, let's just leave it at if it was allowed, Orion would sound like a sailor when speaking about her."