00. Special Person

— • —

— • —

      The wind whistled as leaves flew about, the tree branches smacking into the side of the building. Not a single person seemed to be relaxing, everybody focused on their own work, paying no mind to the storm outside. It'd become routine now, to ignore the outside world and focus on what was set in front of you.

      This world went by many names, it all depended on your personal belief, not a single name set in place. It was the place you resided after death, what many referred to as heaven. It wasn't surrounded by gold gates, and resting atop of fluffy clouds. In fact, it looked no different than Earth did. Except everyone there was a good person.

      It wasn't all that hard to earn your place there. Each person was brought into the world with a scale, your goodness scale, and your badness scale. These scales were monitored by those above you, or "angels" in simpler terms. If your scale tipped more towards the goodness during your time of death, you were guaranteed your spot, if it tipped more towards the badness, you were sent down.

      Nobody truly knew what happened down there, only whispers of the hardships people were facing in the unspoken land. The rumors varied, from talk of people being burned, or wreaking havoc among those that are still living. The whispers could never be confirmed though, every person that was casted away to down below left unable to return.

      The storm picked up outside, a loud crackle of lightening sounding causing everyone in the building to turn their attention to the window. In a place so destined for goodness, storms didn't happen all too often, and lightening was almost nonexistent. They only occurred during rare occasions when someone special would be soon to arrive to their life after death.

      "Think it's another celebrity?"

      "No, those guys are so selfish, it's rare they show up. Probably someone who died for a cause, like that girl Sharon, remember her?"

      With an agitated sigh, Orion pushed her glasses further up her nose, glaring down at the papers set in front of her. The chatter in the room only seemed to increase as the lightening came to stop, everyone eager to see who the new person would be assigned to. Orion seemed to be the only one who could care less about the person, focusing on the profiles she was provided with. Ashton Turner. Cause of death: Suicide. Immediately, the file was pushed off her desk and into the garbage beside it.

      She raised her head as a chime rang through the room, silencing the gossiping bunch. The screen above them was lit up, excited whispers breaking out as they waited patiently. Orion let out a sigh, resting her head against her hand as she waited for the screen to display the name of the lucky angel. The screen flashed multiple times before revealing the name of the new resident. Tom. It flashed once more, people anxiously gripping onto one another in anticipation.

      Everything seemed to happen in a rush. One moment, she was picking up her pen, prepared to go back to reviewing profiles. Then suddenly, her name was displayed beneath Tom, revealing her as his new guide. People clapped for the girl, who'd been shocked into silence, some going as far as letting out whoops for the girl.

      Every angel in the room knew of the girl, Orion not exactly being one to remain in the shadows. The girl was one of the brightest, easygoing angels that held a position in that sector. She was one of the few that held no negative reviews, earning her status at the ripe age of sixteen, one of the youngest in history. While some praised her for her good doings, others branded her as a try hard, typically the ones who didn't know her backstory. Looking at it from another point of view, it would look as if Orion did all she did for the sole sake of being above the rest, rather than from the goodness of her heart.

      One of the people who saw her for who she was was Mr. Baxter, and he grinned as he presented the girl with her newest profile. Orion smiled slightly at the sight of the man, one she had specifically reserved for the only one who'd cared about her as a child. He opened his arms to the girl, and in an instant, she was up and on her feet embracing him. "You'll do amazing," He whispered in her ear, pulling back after to look at the girl's face. He pushed back her hair with a slight smile, pressing a kiss to her forehead. "And hopefully, this will help you be less ignorant."

      Suddenly, Orion's face fell. Mr.Baxter smiled, handing her the file before leaving to tend to his own business. The attention no longer rested on Orion, everyone returning to what they were doing, allowing her to open the file without the fear of someone catching her reaction.

      With a huff, Orion shut the folder, snatching her clipboard off of her desk. Very few eyes focused on the girl as she stomped out of the office, her gaze focused ahead of her. She was met by sunshine when she stepped outside, the storm settling now that the Tom character had already made his arrival, and was most likely waiting in confusion for an explanation.

      And he'd stay waiting, as Orion wasn't making her way to his new home just yet. She practically threw open the door of the home, stomping her way into the kitchen where she was sure he would be slumped. As expected, Mateo was sitting on his counter, a cookie hanging from his mouth in shock at the dramatic arrival of his friend. "What are you doing here?" He questioned, bits of the cookie falling out of his mouth and onto the floor.

      "I was assigned a special person," She stated blankly, and Mateo's eyebrows knitted together in confusion. Without another word, Orion held out the folder for the boy, crossing her arms when he took it. She watched as Mateo's eyes scanned over the profile of the man, searching for the reason for her discontent, a look of realization settling once he saw it. "Yeah," She scoffed.

      The boy sighed, placing the folder to the side. "You need to get over–" He was silenced by her glare, his shoulders dropping in disappointment. "Fine. Want me to come with? Let's hope he was single on Earth and won't weep about a lost lover."

      "Where are we going?" Both turned to the girl as she walked in, Kelsey's heels clicking as she walked. She grabbed the discarded files, glancing over at Orion for a moment, before focusing her gaze on the picture stuck on the top right. "He's cute, maybe he's into my type, not yours," She sent a pointed look to her brother.

      He shrugged, hopping off the counter. "C'mon, everybody's a little gay on the inside. Especially for me."

      With a sigh, Orion turned on her heel and walked out, the bickering siblings trailing behind her.

— • —

I'll say it now, Orion is ignorant as HELL and you might hate her a lil for some of the stuff she says and thinks, but ya know, development and stuff

All will be explained, promise !!

Next chapter, Tom comes in ;)