20. Oblivion

— • —

— • —

      "So, you and Tom?"

      Orion looked over to Mateo, who was strolling into her house, a bouquet of flowers in hand. He placed them on her counter, flashing her a smile as he plopped himself onto one of her stools.

      "What about us?" she asked, her gaze never leaving the flowers. Her lips quirked into a smile as she spotted the note wedged in the middle; Congratulations my darling - Wendy. She looked to Mateo again when he didn't speak, a grin spread across his lips, making her eyebrows furrow. "What?"

      "Last night!" he yelped, making her jump. This only made her grow more confused, the events of the previous night replaying in her mind.

      Orion lifted her head from Tom's chest as the music came to a stop, cheers breaking out around the room. Seeing as Tom hadn't bothered to move his hand, she settled into his side comfortably, watching as Mr. Baxter made his way to the center of the stage, unaware of the boy who's cheeks were reddening by her touch.

      "Today, we celebrate in honor of one individual," he began, more claps breaking out as the screen displayed Orion's name. "I'm sure you all know Orion, but many of you may not know of how she came to this." His eyes found Orion's in the crowd, a twinkle in the girl's eyes as she watched him speak. "She became an angel at the age of sixteen, making her one of the youngest to ever start. There was an obvious light in her that couldn't be ignored, and the many, many people she tended to during her time as an angel could testify to that. Orion is the first to ever get three hundred consecutive perfect ratings, and for that, we honor her with this award."

      Orion grinned as she glanced up at Tom, the boy matching her smile as he gestured for her to go forward. Leaving his side, she rushed up to the stage, gleefully throwing her arms around Mr.Baxter. The older man let out a soft chuckle, pressing a kiss to the girl's head before separating from her, placing her award in her hand. She bit the inside of her cheek as she looked over the statue in her hand, Orion Lopez printed on the bottom.

      "Speech! Speech! Speech!" Orion bit her lip as she glanced over the crowd, eyes landing on her three friends stood side-by-side, being the ones who began the chant. She looked over to Baxter, who handed her the mic with a slight smile, the chanting calming as she gripped the microphone. 

      "I... didn't prepare a speech, so excuse my rambling," she chuckled nervously, glancing back down at the metal in her hand before settling on her friends once more. "I guess I should start by saying this is a big honor. I dreamt of this as a little girl, not exactly this, but to be recognized for an honor as an angel." She hesitated for a moment, before looking to the man stood beside her. "I want to thank Mr.Baxter, for pushing me to be the best angel I could possibly be." Her gaze shifted to the two siblings in the crowd. "Mateo and Kelsey Garcia, for always helping with people I'm tending to by being their first friends and assuring they feel welcome." Her eyes then shifted to the still blushing boy, a smile adorning his features. "And lastly, Tom Holland, who was my final perfect score, and who's friendship alone has helped make me a better person. I wouldn't be up here without you."

      Orion rose an eyebrow. "I'm really not understanding what you're trying to reference."

      Mateo let out an exasperated sigh. "Are you really that oblivious? You guys were so lovey dovey last night."

      Orion snorted. "We were not."

      "Uh, your speech."

       "The same one where I mentioned you and Kelsey, and my father figure? How romantic," she muttered sarcastically, turning away from Mateo as she began to sort the flowers. "You're just grasping at straws now, Mateo."

      "Okay, what about you two leaving together?"

      "He walked me home."

      She wasn't able to see the way Mateo's face fell at the information. "So you didn't sleep together?"

      Orion almost dropped the vase in her hand out of pure shock, a look of mortification taking over her features. "What?" She quickly whirled around to him, hands slapping the counter as she stared at him wide-eyed. "Is that what people think? That I slept with Tom? All he did was walk me home because it was dark!" 

      "Well, that's what me and Kels thought!"

      "That's gross," she emphasized with a shake of her head, turning away from the pouting boy. "I didn't sleep with Tom, and I have no plans to do so either so you and Kels can give that up now."

      "But-"

      "No!"

      Mateo fell silent, shoulders dropping in defeat as Orion focused on her assortment of flowers again, paying no mind to the boy sitting at her island. He left silently, Orion sending him off with a wave, and a shake of her head. 

      Kelsey perked up as the front door was opened, Mateo stepping in. "So?"

      "She's the most oblivious person I have ever met in my life," Mateo huffed, throwing himself down onto the couch. "She wasn't even aware of how her and Tom were acting together last night, and as much as I hate to admit it, I think he's in the friendzone."

      Kelsey gasped, "No."

      Mateo nodded. "Yeah... I mentioned that we thought she slept with him and she said it was a gross, and that she'd never do that. I think that speaks for itself...."

      "She just needs a push," Kelsey insisted, Mateo shooting her a skeptical look. "I'm not gonna be the one to do it, but when it comes, she'll know. There's no way she doesn't like Tom the way he likes her."