08. Trust Issues

— • —

— • —

      Just as it seemed things were going right, something just had to go wrong.

      The party had been a success, Orion drowning in compliments from partygoers, to which she directed them to her team of people who'd helped her. Elaine had allowed Orion's friends to attend with her, saying it was only fair after they put together such a beautiful party last minute. While she did want to attempt to go around and assure everything was going accordingly, she knew Mateo simply wouldn't allow it.

      He, much like his sister, was a party kind of guy. He enjoyed having people's eyes on him constantly, wether if be for something good, like a dance battle, or for something bad, like arguing over a stolen tortilla chip with a tipsy guy. So when the DJ informed the crowd of a dance contest, he grabbed Orion, and danced his butt off. He twirled her, and dipped her, and basically threw her around like she was a handball. And he'd succeeded in what he was trying for, because the two stepped off the dance floor with a plastic crown placed on his head, and Orion's twirling around his finger.

      "Dancing Queen? More like Dancing King," He grinned as the two rejoined Tom and Kelsey, who'd been leant against a wall beside the gift table. Mateo's smile faltered as he took in the two's close proximity, and he turned to Orion for her reaction, seeing she already had her eyes narrowed at them. "Kels, a word?"

      Kelsey's grin she wore fell from her face as she met the eyes of Mateo, the girl letting out an exaggerated sigh before following after him, her arm falling from Tom's shoulder in the process. Orion watched as the two walked away, waiting until they were a good distance away before turning to him. "I have a no sleeping with my friends rule," She immediately warned, her finger poking at his chest. "So that means, you and Kels? Not gonna happen."

      Tom rolled his eyes, grabbing the girl's wrist and taking it away from his chest. "First of all, we were talking. If talking is all it takes for people to assume I'm hooking up with her, then you're lucky people didn't see us earlier or else they'd think you're pregnant." Orion's lips instantly fell into a scowl, and if they weren't in such a public place, she would have snapped harshly at him already. "Second, what is up with you?"

      "You're trying to sleep with my friend!" She scoffed, as if the answer were pretty obvious.

      Tom shook his head. "That's not what I'm referring to." Confusion washed over her features, making him let out a sigh. "I mean after earlier..." Her face fell completely. "I thought we were making progress on this whole trying to be friends thing, then you end up yelling at me for something stupid, and we're back to square one."

      "Me trying to make sure Kelsey doesn't corrupt you is stupid?" She shot back, completely disregarding the rest of the statement. "You don't know her like I do, so me making sure you don't sleep with her is more of a favor to you than it is to me, trust me." She shut her mouth abruptly, and Tom opened his mouth to question why, but then Mateo and Kelsey rejoined them.