04. The Rebellion

— • —

— • —

      When Kelsey proposed the idea of shopping, Orion was all for it. However, she wasn't aware that she'd be turned into a servant for Kelsey to dump everything she found remotely cute on. She trailed behind the girl like a puppy, letting out a huff every time a new item of clothing as added to the pile she already held.

      "You're so annoying," Orion whined as Kelsey examined a blouse, an ugly one at that. "You and Tom would get along freaking great."

      This seemed to spark the girl's interest, her hands immediately dropping the ugly blouse to clap excitedly. "Tom," Kelsey grinned, Orion's eyes narrowing at her friend. "Tell me all about how your lunch date went."

      She should have expected Mateo to open his mouth to his sister, the boy couldn't keep a secret if his life depended on it. Especially not something that was as big as Orion and Tom trying to get along for a few hours. The lunch didn't get any better following the interaction with Ethan, in fact Tom spent most of it whining about how Orion most likely bruised him with her kick, and how unangelic that was of her. It got to the point where she believed her eyes would roll to the back of her head, after spending the next hour and a half rolling her eyes at almost everything that came out of the boy's mouth.

      She typically got along with most people, always finding a common ground for them to bond over. Yet in the time she spent sitting across from Tom, neither of them seemed to find anything to enjoy about one another. It's like they were polar opposites; if Tom liked salty, Orion liked sweet, if Tom loved the rain, Orion loved the sunlight. She just didn't understand, no matter how hard she tried to pretend to enjoy her time with him, she couldn't. She was grateful he hadn't tried to summon her since the afternoon, because she didn't know just how many more smiles she could fake before her facade crumbled to the ground.

      Orion trailed behind Kelsey as she walked to the dressing room, the girl looking back at her waiting for her answer. "He's a nag," Orion decided, dropping all the clothes onto the chair in the room her friend chose. She stepped back as Kelsey stepped in, a curtain now separating the two girls. "He spent the first half of it complaining because I kicked him, then the rest he spent disagreeing with me." She crossed her arms as Kelsey let out a hum, showing she was still listening.

      Orion leant against the wall outside of the fitting room, a frown settling on her lips. She wanted to do this for Mr.Baxter, to prove that he had nothing to be disappointed about. She needed to show him she was still the same little girl that he raised to be perfect and set an example for those around her. Yet Tom made it so difficult for her. Just the thought of him made her want to give up, knowing it was hopeless as neither could stand being around the other for too long.