21. 20 Questions

— • —

— • —

      Mateo Garcia was the human embodiment of the word annoying. 

      It was something Orion realized on day five of him storming into her house and asking bizzarre questions before leaving. Each time, she asked if he drank or smoked something before making his way to her home, and each time, he'd promise her he didn't. But he never came with any other business besides to ask her the same weird questions.

      Which is why it didn't surprise her when he texted her asking where she was the one day of the week she decided to go to the office. 

      She rolled her eyes at the text, swiping it off of her screen before putting her phone face down. Pushing her glasses further up her nose, she began to read the file placed in front of her before a cry broke out throughout the office. All eyes turned to the back where Baxter's office was, a woman on her knees before said man. He was staring down at her blankly, while the woman let out screams. With a wave of his hand, security was making their way towards the two, helping the woman off of the floor. 

      "But my daughter!" she yelled out, though Baxter didn't bat an eye, shifting his gaze to Orion. Her lips were parted in surprise, in the many years of her working at that office, never has she seen something like what just took place. She could still hear the woman's distant cries as she was led out of the main room, the office deadly silent as they awaited Baxter's next move.

      "Orion, my office," he spoke casually, waving the girl over. Orion swallowed harshly, looking around to her coworkers before getting to her feet, all too aware of the eyes watching her as she dragged herself over to the man. He waited until she was a foot away before turning and leading the way to his office, holding the door open for her. Hesitantly, she stepped into the office, the door shutting behind her.

       "I had nothing to do with what just happened," she blurted out instantly, Mr.Baxter making his way around his desk.

      He plopped down onto his chair before letting out a chuckle. "Oh, I know that. I just had to speak to you about a different matter."

      Orion swallowed harshly, slowly setting into a seat across from him. "Do you mind me asking... what was that?"

      His expression hardened, hands interlocking. "Her family is being put on trial for.. disposal. She begged I leave her daughter here, but exemptions can't be made, no matter how much begging is done."

      "D-Disposal?" Orion choked out, eyes widening.

      Baxter nodded, "To.. down there."

      The unknown world. Hell. The woman she'd just seen crying on her knees, a woman who looked capable of no wrongdoings, was being sent to hell with the rest of her family. She's read stories of cases of people who've been sent to hell, and typically, the people put on trial were nothing like that woman. They were people who've had enough of being good, so desperate for a change in scenery that they do just about anything to be sent out. And their wishes usually came true, a trial immediately taking place. There has never been a case where someone sentenced to trial wasn't sent down, and she was sure that woman would not be the first after Mr.Baxter's merciless act of sending her away.

      Baxter cleared his throat, Orion's horrified expression instantly vanishing as she straightened up. "Your newest task," he began, sliding over a folder, "has recently passed. She should be arriving any minute now. I know your usual is to bring your friends with you to make a person feel welcome, so get to that."

      Orion picked up the folder, eyes trailing over the familiar documents. A time of death was now in place beside her date of birth. She found herself frowning as she looked over it again, she was only eighteen. She had her entire life ahead of her, and yet here she was, dead while all her family was still alive. "Thanks," she muttered. "Is that all?"

      "Orion." She looked up, stiffening as she saw the dark look in his eyes. "Do not speak a word of what you witnessed in the office today."

      Swallowing harshly, she nodded. "You have my word."

      Baxter nodded stiffly, waving the girl off as she busied himself with another folder. Orion let out a sigh as she stepped out of his office, her eyes trailing down to the photo settled at the corner of the folder. Clover. 

      With a snap of her fingers, she was back in her home, startling Mateo in the process. He perked up once the shock passed, a grin spread across his lips. "You got my texts!" he beamed, gesturing to the phone where a text was half typed.

       Orion rolled her eyes, "I ignored all of them actually. Have you heard from Tom?"

       Mateo's eyes lit up. "Why? Want to take him out on a date?"

      "What? No. I need you, him, and Kels."

      "That's not very romantic-"

      "It's not for a date," Orion cut him off, glaring at the boy. "My new client died and now we need to go see her."

       Mateo frowned. "Oh." Orion nodded, while he let out a huff. "Fine. Tom is home."

       "Then let's go."

      "You don't even want to go on a quick-"

      "No!"

      "Okay, okay. Let's go meet this girl."