27. Us

— • —

— • —

"What's wrong with you?"

Orion lifted her head at Mateo's question, brows furrowed in confusion. As per usual, Mateo had taken it upon himself to let himself into her home, only to find the girl still fast asleep. It didn't seem normal, considering it was twelve, and Orion wasn't one to sleep past ten, deeming it unproductive. And when he tried to wake her up, she proceeded to moan and groan about how tired she was, another thing she never did before. It was enough to raise suspicions about what she did the previous night.

"What do you mean?" Orion muttered, voice still laced with sleep as she rubbed at her eyes. It hasn't been long since she woke up to Mateo's screaming, making her jump awake with a fright. It only further proved her point that Mateo was the human embodiment of the word annoying.

          He scoffed, gesturing to her. "It's almost one and you're still in bed."

          "I was tired," she defended.

          "Yeah, but why? What'd you do last night?"

           Orion fell silent, racking her mind for a valid excuse that she hasn't used on Mateo yet. There were quite a few. Baxter came down with a cold. Some paperwork didn't go through in the office. Someone was sent to the wrong sector. Dozens upon dozens of excuses, yet Orion couldn't think of a single one at that moment, making her look even more suspicious.

          Mateo raised an eyebrow. "Where were you last night, Orion?"

          "With Clover?"

           "Are you telling me or asking me?" She opened her mouth to respond, but Mateo cut her off. "Trick question, I know you weren't with Clover because Kelsey was having sex with her." Orion's face contorted into one of disgust at his blunt statement, the memory of the two rushing back to her. "So what'd you do that was so bad that you had to lie to me?"

          "Nothing," Orion responded quickly, a little too quickly. "I was just... out."

           "With who?"

           "None of your business."

            "Everything is my business," he scoffed. "Will you just tell me what you did last night? It can't possibly be that bad."

             Was it bad? She was on a hill, in the middle of the night, making out with someone she once loathed. The thought of it seemed bad, considering who Tom was, but the act itself was anything but bad. At least on his part.