29. Secrets to Keep

— • —

— • —

The entire situation was uncomfortable, to say the least.

On one hand, Orion was relieved that Mateo was finally in the know about the extent of their relationship.

On another hand, he did just find out from catching them in what was coming close to becoming a heated make-out session.

So that wasn't exactly ideal.

Much like Kelsey, the twin brother had plenty of questions to ask, not even waiting for the couple to detach themselves from one another before throwing said questions at them. They varied from sweet questions, like how they realized their feelings for one another, to borderline creepy ones like whether or not they've had sex. That second one earned him a smack on behalf of Orion, and a snort of amusement from Tom.

After promising she'd answer his questions later, Orion was able to usher Mateo out of her house, though it proved to be much more difficult than usual. She slumped against the door with a huff, eyes fluttering shut as she took a moment to process what just happened.

They were official for all of two minutes before someone found out. If having Mateo know took this much of a toll on her, she wasn't looking forward to when she'd eventually have to tell Mr.Baxter, someone who's opinion of her was above everyone else's.

"You okay?" Her eyes opened to see Tom standing a few feet ahead of her, hand scratching the back of his neck in uncertainty. After spending almost every day with the girl, he could call himself the Orion expert, meaning he was well aware of the stress she felt towards their current situation. He understood, to a certain extent. She's someone who's never been in a relationship, and has spent a majority of her time working towards something that she's already achieved now, so there was always going to be that stress about the unknown. But at the same time, as her boyfriend, he'd hoped he would never be the one to cause her to be stressed, but rather relieve the stress.

Orion nodded slowly, pushing herself off the door to cross the room to him. "I'm fine, just a little overwhelmed." Tom frowned, causing Orion's eyes to widen. "Not by you, or anything, just Mateo is a little much. You don't make me overwhelmed, not at all, well maybe sometimes with all my feelings and stuff, but usually, you're great-"

"Orion."

She stopped her rambling, biting the inside of her cheek as a blush took over her cheeks. "I'm doing it again, aren't I?" He nodded, a look of amusement flooding his features. "I hate that you make me so nervous all the time, I'm not usually like this."

She visibly relaxed as he tucked a strand of hair behind her ear, his hand lingering causing her to lean into his touch. "I know you're not, and I'm glad I bring out that nervousness in you. It means I'm doing something right."