31. Banished

— • —

— • —

Clover stumbled over her footing when they finally arrived, disoriented by the sudden change of scenery. She instantly raised her head to glare at her angel, who still help her wrist with a mighty grip.

Orion didn't bother to spare her a glance, tugging her along as she trudged to the office, ignoring all lingering eyes. She could hear the whispers surrounding her, and the coworkers stepping forward ready to stop her from her journey, but she was blinded. All she could see was red as she marched down the middle of the room, her hand that wasn't gripping Clover shaking with anger.

"Orion, wait–"

With a harsh glare, her coworker stepped away from the office door, allowing Orion to storm into the room with one purpose. She didn't even bother to address the other two people in the room as she yanked the younger girl forward, presenting her to her superior like a fine meal on a silver platter.

"She's the problem," Orion spat, slamming the door shut to the office without a single care for the loudness of the action. "You want someone to blame? It's her."

Baxter, who'd previously been in a meeting with Talia about their investigation, rose from his desk with his eyes narrowed. They alternated between Clover and Orion a few times, before ultimately settling on the seething angel. "Orion, we're in an important meeting right now. Can we deal with your personal affairs later?"

"My personal affairs?" Baxter raised an eyebrow at her bewildered tone. "This is who you've been needing to investigate. Kelsey isn't a troublemaker, Clover is."

This time, it was Talia who shot up from her seat, cold eyes narrowing in on Orion. "Orion, this is ridicu–"

"Stop." Talia's head snapped to Baxter, whose brows were knitted together. "I'd like to hear what she has to say."

Clearly annoyed, Talia rolled her eyes, though she followed orders and sunk back into her seat in silence.

Orion looked at Clover with narrowed eyes, noticing how the girl's face lacked color as she stood in silence. Not so tough now, huh?

Clearing her throat, the angel straightened up before gesturing a hand out to her client. "Clover and I were assigned to one another before she ever died, so I think it was fair for me to make the assumption that she was ultimately a good person and didn't need to be babysat by me. Apparently, I was wrong. By giving her that freedom, she abused it and ran off to take part in delinquent acts like doing drugs," Baxter's eyes widened, "and joining a rebellion group."

The older man's eyes shifted over to Clover to gauge her reaction, only to see the girl shrinking away, a look of obvious shame on her face. "Is this true Miss Campbell? You've joined a rebel group?" Baxter's eyes grew dark as Clover remained silent, her eyes remained locked with his as she refused to speak. "Speak now or I'll be forced to call in guards to detain you."