Echoes

Wow. It's been awhile since I've written for this book.

a song from my writing playlist: Mother's Mercy by Ramin Djawadi (Game of Thrones season 5 soundtrack)

I've returned to complete the #IndistinguishableContest for Sci-Fi and Magic. My mission was to write of a piece of technology that was closely related to--almost indistinguishable from--magic. I had a limit of 1500 words.

[EDIT]: I've returned to embellish a bit since the contest is over. x

**

BRIEF SUMMARY: Zeus has listed an attack on Alexandria's island. To protect themselves, the islanders and their ten kings must find a way to win against a god. They think they've found their salvation in an object--it's mechanical, they claim. But Alexandria thinks they're wrong. It's pure magic.

Or, when The Lost City of Atlantis isn't so lost anymore.

**

"Mommy," Alexandria asked, tugging on her mother's sleeve, "what's going on? Why are we leaving?"

Her mother's hand came to rest upon her daughter's head, rubbing her hair in comfort, and pulled Alexandria closer. "It's not safe for us here anymore."

Not safe? But how could that be? She'd lived here all her life and they'd always been fine. Happy. It was paradise. No one had to work especially hard--the earth and the kings shared wealth throughout the community. All of the most wonderful foods you could ever want grew here, enough to feed them all and sell for extra profits. Animals were plentiful. Luxurious streams of hot and cold water ran through the island, magnificent palaces and temples littered the land, and they were rich in gold and silver.

It had only been an hour ago when the earth shook and grumbled, and the whole city started to act crazy. Scary.

"But why not, Mommy?"

Her father, who had been walking on her left side, turned his head toward her and placed a hand on her shoulder. "That's not something for a little girl to worry about, Alex."

"But I'm seven!" she cried in frustration. "And I don't want to move!"

Her mother sighed. "I'm sorry, baby. We don't want to move either. All will become clear to us soon."

Alexandria frowned, but said no more. They moved through the town's center, past the temples and homes of the townspeople. Everything on the island they lived on was green--vibrant, beautiful, natural. The waters were bright blue and clear. Would she never be able to swim in them again? Where would she be going? Would the sun smile down on her as it did here?

Families from all over the island moved in sync with hers. Forlorn looks donned their faces as parents shuffled their children forward.

"Where are we going?" Alexandria asked, after minutes passed of watching the sad event.

"To the docks," her father replied.

She thought that made sense. How else were they to get off, but by boat? They were surrounded by water.

Thoughts of how much she was going to miss her home haunted her the rest of the way--which was actually not very far, but to her little legs, it felt like forever. Except, somehow, forever wasn't enough time. Despite herself, she thought about the kinds of places she could be going to, and she felt a mix of excitement and dread at the thought of the unknown.

As they reached the docks, the whole island waited in suspense for their leaders to give word of their fate. Families all around them whispered amongst themselves about the possibilities.