Chapter 16

[Tara]

I scooted closer to Soda. His arms were still wrapped perfectly around me. He was sound asleep, and I was lying awake. My head was placed on his chest. Everything was just so perfect.

All I could hear was the sound of Soda breathing softly next to me. But then the door opened a crack and Ponyboy popped his head in. His eyes instantly grew wider and his face pale. Just then I realized I was in only my undergarments and Soda was in his boxers.

"Oh god Pony, it's not what it looks like!" I tried to shout without bein loud enough to wake Sodapop.

"No. It's fine. I get it, Tara. I really do. It's always been you and Soda. Since day one." His words echoed inside me, but his voice was strangely calm. Nothing else needed to be said so he shut the door and left.

I took a minute to process the words exchanged with Pony before gently getting off the bed. I pulled one of the blankets out from underneath Soda and made my way to the living room, leaving the door shut behind me.

Everyone was still asleep, besides Johnny, Quinn, and Pony. Johnny had his arm draped around Quinn. She was smilin. What did I miss?

"Hey Pony...I swear it's not what it looked like" I whispered quietly and took a seat next to him on the floor. He was still and the room would have been dead silent if it weren't for Quinn's insane giggling.

"I never meant to hurt you" I wrapped my arms around him, enclosing him in the blanket with me. Softly I put my head on his shoulder. He was quiet, but words weren't necessary. He could have left a long time ago. But he didn't. He was here, with me.