Chapter 18: The Shadows of Guilt

Start from the beginning

------------------

Two weeks later, Darnay's Class cheered on Kazu's return. All twenty-eight of his fellow classmates shook his hand, gave him a hug, or high fived the returning Slayer-to-be. I didn't participate, but instead watched in surprise as Mr. Darnay himself shook Kazu's hand, before giving an emotional and surprisingly educational ten minute speech celebrating his return. At the end, he credited the entire class for the collaborative speech, admitting sheepishly that he did write the largest portion, however. Everyone broke into laughter and cheer, while I just stood there, dumbfounded. The entire scene was so much for just one person, it was impossible to comprehend. No matter how much I refused to believe it, however, it didn't change what was actually happening. So instead of joining into the excitement, I snuck out of the room, searching for a certain duo.

I knew my way around the academy by this point, so it only took a few minutes to seek out whom I had set out for. As I had predicted, Tyler and Alex were overjoyed, and darted off in the direction of Kazu's class without the slightest hesitation.

I tried to tell them to wait until their class was over, but shook my head at the suggestion as they disappeared down the hall.

There was absolutely no hope of even trying to catch up to them, so I just leaned against the cold, comforting wall and allowed my knees to buckle, darkness comforting my eyes. Deep breaths flowed through my body and soul, calming my mind and erasing the excitement of today. It was refreshing to finally be able to sit down with no distractions, and accept everything. It was a serene moment of blissful silence, and it lasted for an entire two minutes.

The sound of footsteps clicking against the metallic floor alerted me, but not enough to open my eyes. Whoever it was, they must certainly have no desire to converse with me, of all people. That theory had helped me through many years of my life, but apparently didn't apply to certain abstracts. The minute the figure halted their pacing, I was able to identify him by his controlled breathing, his obnoxious attitude, and his general apathy.

"Woah, woah, look who we have here? What would compel a girl such as yourself to lie against a cold wall, alone, in the middle of a dimly lit hallway? Seems a bit introverted, wouldn't you say, Ali?"

His tone was as casual and condescending as ever, especially when using that ridiculous nickname, but it hardly bothered me now. With closed eyes, I responded in a paralleled tone, "Yeah, I agree. And what of a boy dressed so pompously while looking down on said girl? A bit stuck-up, wouldn't you say, Franky?"

"Haha! I suppose that is one opinion to consider. Anyway, what does bring our fierce Squad leader to such a lonely state? Could it perhaps pertain to our recently recovered ally?"

At that remark, my eyes opened, and I looked up boredly at Francis.

My lack of response seemed to dissatisfy him, and he made an irritated tsk. "Well, fine. You know, daggers are made of metal, not glares. But I suppose you can turn anything into a dagger with enough practice," he smirked at his own comment. "But really, I thought you would be at the front of the crowd, considering how close the two of you are. Are you perhaps, bashful? Maybe a bit shy?" He grinned mockingly as he swung his arms and body around to emphasize his words.

"How amusing. You've successfully turned yourself into a circus clown. No, I just don't like loud noises, is all. Excitement and things like that don't suit me, okay?"

"Hm, I see. I suppose considering your lineage, you wouldn't be much of a people person. You know, since your—"

"SHUT it, Francis. Don't mention my parents here, or anywhere for that matter. I left for a reason, you know, and I don't need a snot-nosed arrogant ass like you to bring it up, got it? My parents have nothing to do with me, and I intend to keep it that way. The fact that you even know them is because of me and me alone, so I wouldn't go babbling my ass off whenever I pleased if I were you. Now, is there anything else you wished to discuss, Francis Glorieux, or shall I assume our conversation is over?"