Happy New Year [NCT/Johnny]

"Only fifteen minutes for 2018!"

Sarah looked around as she grabbed one of the champagne glasses that the many waiters offered the crowd. Alone, she asked herself once more why she had come to the end-of-year party that the company she worked for celebrated; she was bored as hell, her feet had hurt all night thanks to her new heels, and now she was feeling slightly dizzy thanks to the few drinks she had already had. As everyone gathered around the tables to grab their own glasses for the toast, she caught a glimpse of the one colleague she wanted to see all night.

With brown hair, cute eyes, tall, broad shoulders, a smile to die for, and one of the nicest personalities she had ever encountered, Johnny Seo was speaking with someone she didn't know. They had met back at the beginning of the year when she started working at the company, and as he was his superior she had always kept her distance, but they had the chance to become closer thanks to the Halloween party. She loved the thought of being close to him, even if it was just as friends.

"Ten more minutes!" someone else shouted, making her realize she had been staring at him – looking around the room as the guy he was talking with walked away, his eyes found hers, and with a warm smile he raised a hand to say hi. Greeting him back, also waving her hand, Sarah felt her cheeks blush as her lips curved in a shy grin, and as she was about to go with him, someone else grabbed his attention; his best friend Peter came from behind him, patting Johnny's back so hard it almost made him drop his glass. I guess being 5' 5" sometimes has its advantages, she thought while quietly laughing at the sight of them.

With the crowd all together around the main table where all the desserts were now placed, she took the chance to slowly walk away towards one of the few empty balconies that were in the floor, the fresh air that hit her making her feel a little bit more relieved. The night was clear except for some clouds here and there, and the city seemed to show no sign of life on the streets – but she knew that as soon as the clock hit 00:00, everyone would shout and some people would come out and greet each other.

"I wish I would've stayed at home," she said out loud, although a smile appeared on the corner of her lips.

"Hey, don't say that," a familiar voice said from behind. Turning around, her heartbeat sped up when she saw Johnny walking toward her, the breeze messing up his hair just a tiny bit. As he reached her side, he said, "Hey, Sarah, you ran away before I could say anything to you; I had been looking for you the whole night." Chuckling, she raised her half-empty glass before they hugged, turning to look at the sky moments later. "This year was crazy, huh?"

"It was," she agreed nervously, not really knowing what else to say while she spotted a red star amidst the many white ones. She wondered if it meant something while it was covered by an air balloon for a second. "We should go inside; the clock's going to hit twelve anytime n-"

"Nah, let's stay here," he quickly said while putting an arm around her shoulders. "The breeze is nice and the company too." She thanked her earlier self for putting on blush so he wouldn't see her cheeks redden once more – his firm grip held her close to him, even if that wasn't his real intention. "We hadn't really had the time to hang out for a while, ever since the Halloween hangout," Johnny followed, "and, you know, being friends and everything, I was kind of hoping we'd get to see each other a little more often." He laughed, the kind of way that made her smile no matter what, and it was a brief moment that they looked at each other, but it felt like her heart was going to jump out of her chest.

He didn't look away even when she did, looking down with a little bit of embarrassment and a lot of butterflies in her stomach, and when she looked back up his eyes pierced right through her. "Is s-something wrong?" Sarah asked while leaving the champagne glass on the stone balustrade carefully.

Blinking, he seemed to fall back to Earth as he looked away, licking his lips quickly and sighing. "I'm sorry if I made you uncomfortable," he started, "but I don't want to end the year like this." Her mind started racing thinking of all the possibilities of what he was going to say, but then he continued, "I've told myself to be brave a million times, but I couldn't really find the right time and place to say it, and I know this isn't good either, but we never hangout, and it's so hard to get the words out when I want them to, and I just can't do it r-"

"Johnny!" she stopped him as she heard everyone inside start with the countdown from ten. "Just say it, please.

He waited until five, and then quickly muttered, "I like you a lot."

And then the fireworks came when the clock hit 00:00 of the 1st of January, just as Sarah felt her own mind explode with happiness; almost without thinking, her hands found its way to his, and holding them tight she responded by kissing him on the cheek, surprising him – his lips slightly parted, he smiled once more before leaning down a little bit to kiss her back on the forehead, her heart fluttering with a newfound feeling of safety and calmness. "Happy new year, Johnny," she added, hugging him.

"Happy new year, Sarah, happy new year indeed."

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

I just want to wish you all a belated happy new year, I hope you all are doing great - I have been dealing with a lot lately, and I guess you can see how sloppily written this oneshot was, but I meant to have it done by last week and I couldn't, so I'm sorry for that. I hope you guys liked it and thank you so much for 95.9k+ reads, we're finally so close to 100k after three years! ♥

P.S.: I know I'm writing a lot about NCT, but I just need to get my growing love for them out somehow, they're quickly becoming one of my favourite groups ever.