The Violinist [B.I.G./Benji]

Inspiration never comes easy.

It must find the right place, the right person, and the right muse. Probably that's the reason why a lot of people go around, copying attitudes, styles, and manners; maybe it's because they don't get enough inspiration to step up and create.

Create their own world, their own personality. And it's dangerous, because if we're all the same, how can we see what's right and what's wrong?

He first caught my attention back in the last year of high school, when we were participating in one of those dumb school talent shows. I didn't know who he was, and we only spoke when he wished me good luck before I went out on stage to sing my heart out. Later, while watching his performance, I learned that he was an exceptional violinist in addition to being extremely passionate about it as well.

Through friends I learned that his name was Jaewook, but that he was also known as Benjamin or Benji among his group of friends. I wondered what could've possibly sparked my interest in him, seeing that our likes were totally different, but it didn't stop me from sending a glance or two in his direction when I saw him on the hallways.

My friends insisted that I should talk to him, but every time I blew them off, with the excuse that I didn't like him like that. He eventually noticed me staring a few times, so my cover was completely blown.

I approached him one day during lunch break about two weeks after the talent show. We didn't speak much, and me being nervous didn't help at all. All I could say was that I really liked his little act, to which he smiled big and thanked me sincerely while telling me that I also had done very well. I thought I saw a small blush but I walked away so quickly I wasn't able to tell if it wasn't just my imagination.

It surprised me when he greeted me the next day while I was next to my locker. It wasn't much, just a simple 'hey', but it was enough to send me flying. My friends teased me about it all day, but I wasn't even annoyed by it. At that point, all I could do was swoon over that one small word.

I guess it was a matter of delight, I don't know; I've always loved seeing people being passionate about whatever it is that they like. His muse was his instrument; his world was the piece he would play often. There was nothing else between him and the music when he played.

Those small 'hellos' became longer and longer until we were able to maintain conversations about how our days had been and how school treated us. He always had a smile on his face, and it was contagious, no matter how I was feeling before seeing him. The time was always the same too, before lunch break and after his music practice.

It was as if we were getting closer with each talk. Although it wasn't much, barely reaching 15 minutes per day, it was enough to keep me waiting until the next day to repeat them again. One day after several weeks of small talk, we exchanged numbers, and later that week we started texting.

Safe to say, the butterflies in my stomach had evolved into dragons. I had grown to like him more than I had expected, but I didn't know if it was unrequited. Part of me wished it was, but a bigger side wished for nothing more than his company. And that's how I felt scared, every day a little bit more, of my heart finally being away besides his.

Benji was busy with school and his music studies so essentially the time he dedicated to our little talks diminished as the year went by and finals approached. The texts were still there though, always arriving at least once a day.

There was something weird about the way he was acting towards me lately; his words became shorter and shorter until it was hard to even hold a conversation. I didn't think much of it then, even though a small worry grew inside of me. Was I being boring? Was he too busy to even say 'good night'?