The Intruder [SEVENTEEN/Joshua]

The clock struck midnight with a loud thump. It had been a while since he got scared of the noise, especially since the standing clock broke a few years back; Joshua sat up on the bed, his forehead sweaty and his mind already awake again, even if only a couple of hours had passed after he lay his head on the pillow.

Grabbing a small handkerchief he had on his bedside table, he wiped the small drops from his skin, all the way down to his chest. "Man," he told himself, "the weather is getting really heavy lately."

Sighing, he got up and turned on the bedside lamp to look around the room. A faint moon light came through the blinds, and he could tell half the town was still awake. Stretching his arms, he made his way towards the kitchen to get a glass of water; as he came back, he entered the bathroom, and after he was done with his necessities he washed his hands, but when he looked into the mirror he couldn't help but let out a loud scream and before he knew it the water glass hit the floor, breaking into a dozen shards.

In the small second he had made eye contact with the mirror, he had seen a pale face with messy short hair and eyes black as could be staring back at him. When he looked back, there was nothing but his own reflection, his eyes open wide and his breath heavy. Feeling his heartbeat racing, he grabbed onto the sink as he quickly opened the faucet and splashed some cold water on his face.

"Okay, now what the hell was that?" he murmured, his voice steadier than his pulse. Looking in the mirror again, a little bit hesitantly at first, he added, "Calm down now, Josh, you're still half asleep and you're delirious from the heat. I probably didn't even know what I was seeing; it could've been whatever." Although he knew he was probably right, it sounded more as if he were trying to convince himself of something.

He was about to go back to bed when a sound coming from the balcony caught his attention, as if something – or rather someone – was trying to get in, and this time he felt more unnerved than before. The small apartment felt somewhat quieter and darker than before, but he couldn't bring himself to do anything else than feel as if he was walking towards the wolf's mouth.

The curtains that covered the balcony door were almost opaque but there was still a bit of light that reached them, all thanks to the world outside. The noise grew quicker and stronger as he got closer to it, and a shiver ran down his spine when he was directly in front of the window, the noise turning to a knocking that was almost unbearable to listen to anymore. Gulping, he gathered all his strength to quickly draw back the drapes only to check for himself that he was the only one present there.

"What's happening to me? It's like I'm becoming paranoid; I should get the guys to come more often so I don't feel so... alone." Slightly relieved but still feeling uneasy, Joshua opened the balcony door and let the cool night air wrap around his body; taking a deep breath, he walked out, a small smile forming on his lips due to the nervousness. He took in the nice view of the town he had from there, and after a couple of minutes he felt a lot better, just enough to finally turn around and go back inside.

He wasn't sure if it was because he had left the glass door open for a while, but the house suddenly felt colder, as if it were autumn instead of almost summer. He shook the thought out of his mind, laughing at his own silliness and imagination; still, there were no more traces of sweat on his skin, and now coldness had replaced the heat, making him put on a shirt to go to bed for the first time in days.

Walking back to his room, even though he tried to hold on to the calm and the easiness he had gotten, something still felt very odd to him, as if he didn't feel comfortable in his own house anymore. As soon as he got to his bedroom, he looked around the room once more and fixed his sight on the partially open closet, its darkness eerily inviting to him. It was as if something was watching him from the inside, and to prevent himself from going any more crazy he quickly walked up to it and closed it, putting his back against the door for a moment and enjoying the coldness of the wood.

His bed had never seemed cosier, especially when he pulled the blanket all the way up to his chin, to prevent the cold from getting to him again. Almost asleep, he jumped slightly when his phone started to buzz from below his pillow; yawning as he grabbed it, he saw it was a private number, and thinking that it could be his family calling he answered. After all, it wouldn't be the first time his mum called late at night to talk to him.

"Hello?" he said, and for a moment he didn't get an answer. "Hello?" he had to repeat himself a couple of times before he actually got a reply, but it wasn't what he would've expected. Heavy breathing came from the other side, and even if he couldn't see or feel it in real life it was dense, just as the panting of a wild animal that had just finished hunting its prey. "Who is this? Tell me who it is right now or I swear to God I'll call the cops on you," he said, yet he got no different answer.

Already tired and not willing to put up with a prank, he hung up. Leaving the phone on a side of the bed, he prepared to sleep again as another buzzing sound made him open his eyes for the fourth time only that this one it was just a text. The sender had no name or number, which seemed suspicious, but the text itself made every single hair on his body stand up.

'You shouldn't have hung up. Thanks for letting me in.'

Re-reading the message ten times, Joshua's mind started to race, thinking about the cruelty someone had to have in them to play a prank so elaborate. But just as he was about to reply, he felt a lump on the bed. Looking up from his phone, he saw something moving under the sheets, and even though he felt the need to scream he couldn't get the sound to leave his throat.

He wanted to get away, to move his body, but it was as if something prevented him from doing so; the only thing he could do was helplessly stare at the lump until it got to his feet, stopping there as if it were thinking what to do. He felt cold, soft hands creeping up his leg, and soon enough it grabbed onto his knee with strength, and Joshua could feel the pressure it was putting on the bone.

Fear ran through him as he saw the lump move up, and curiosity got the best of him when it stopped right between his legs. He grabbed the sheet with one hand, and taking a deep breath he quickly lifted it. His heart stopped when he saw the same pale face and black eyes that had stared back at him through the mirror earlier, and before he realized the creature let out a screech, letting all its sharp teeth show, and, grabbing him by the ankles, it pulled him inside the sheets, leaving no trace of his presence on the house.

  ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ 

Happy Halloween! Even though we don't celebrate it down here, I felt like writing a couple of spooky oneshots for this special occasion! This one is based loosely on one of my favourite scenes from The Grudge, if you've seen it you know which one I'm talking about. I also wanted to write more SEVENTEEN stuff, so this was just perfect even if I didn't know which member to write about at first, lol. Also, I've decided to open requests earlier than expected, and you guys will have two full weeks to request whatever you'd like to read. Well, I hope you guys liked it and thank you so much for 37.1k+ reads! ♥