"Sunshine." - Forty-Seven

8:09 AM.

   Phillipa Soo opened the curtains in her room ever so slightly, squinting at the blinding sunlight that immediately hit her face. She glanced down and watched the cars down by the street, and the people walking by the sidewalk. The busy city waking up seemed to calm her somewhat. Along with the noise outside, she could hear Tobi's gentle snoring. The whole scene was relaxing to her for some reason. Pippa took a deep breath and closed her eyes, leaning her forehead on the window. She took everything in, just as she had been doing every other day and night since the accident.

   She was so caught up in her own thoughts that she didn't hear Lin walk in. The one thing that brought her back down to Earth was the quiet 'tick' of the clock, now signaling that it was 8:10. Pippa opened her eyes and they settled on her feet, which she hadn't noticed were cold. Glancing back up at the window, she spotted a single raindrop running down the other side. Clouds were slowly beginning to roll in. The people walking now seemed to be in a rush to get to their destinations.

   Pippa began tapping on the window silently, wondering how loud the outside world would be if she opened it. Subconsciously, her hand reached down to the lock. She snapped it open and one word ran through her head.

   Jump.

   She inhaled sharply, and just when she was about to push the window open, she felt Lin's arms wrap around her waist carefully. Her mind went blank for a second, but then she was enveloped by the feeling of warmth and a fuzzy sensation. Several thoughts began flooding her head, making it hard to concentrate on what Lin was saying.

   "What?" Pippa questioned, finally finding her voice after several seconds of struggling to speak.

   "I said good morning," Lin stated calmly, resting his chin on her shoulder. As he did that, Pippa took a second to lock the window again, and pull the curtains back all the way, instantly showering the room with natural light.

   "Looks like it's going to be a nice day," Lin said quietly, taking a look outside.

   "No," Pippa objected. "It's going to rain soon. Best to stay inside." Pippa turned around in Lin's arms, being greeted by an amorous kiss on her forehead. She noticed that he had shaved, but looked more restless than usual. It seemed like he deeply thought about what he was going to say or do next, as if one false move would damage something.

   "Not like I was going anywhere. Were you planning on leaving the apartment..?"

   "No."

   "Oh... Well, um, are you hungry..? I can make you breakfast if you want."

   She shook her head and broke away from his grasp, making her way toward their bed and curling up on to it. Pippa wanted to keep her eyes locked on the window, but they moved over to Lin when he approached her and sat on the foot of the bed, placing one hand on her hip.

   "They found out who caused the crash," Lin told her quietly, looking her into the eye. After a few moments of silence, Lin went on. "They said that the culprit was drunk..."

   "Who is the culprit?"

   He reached over and grabbed her hand, squeezing it tightly. Silence overcame them both for more seconds until Lin broke it again. "It was Steven."

   Pippa shifted before sitting up, staring at Lin. "It was Steven..?"

   Lin nodded and held her hand tightly. "Yes... He was apparently drunk when he crashed into us. He's waiting for trial."

   She frowned and looked down at the wooden floor, biting her bottom lip. "I hope that asshole rots in hell," Pippa muttered.

   "Pip, you don't mean that-"

   "I do mean that! He hurt you, killed our baby, ruined the future we had planned out for us, h-he-" Pippa was now yelling all of this while pacing the floor. Her eyes were flooded with tears, and she began to stutter. She quieted down when Lin wrapped his arms around her, bringing her into a hug. She shuddered with every sob, Lin's heart breaking with every sniffle.

   "Shh, don't worry, love... I'm here..." He lovingly kissed her head as she continued to let out her bottled emotions. Pippa clung to Lin as if he were the only thing keeping her sane, and in some ways, he was. And even though she may not always show it, she will always be grateful for him.