"Appointments." - Fourty-Two

DATE: January 6, 2016

-

   "And be careful with him, alright?" Lin warned, handing Sebastian over to Vanessa. "We'll be back at around 4, so-"

   "Yes, yes, I know. Bring him at 6 PM sharp. You don't need to worry about us, okay Lin?" Vanessa bounced her son in her arms, smiling at him. "Plus, we're going to have a lot of fun, aren't we, sweetheart?" Lin watched as Sebastian nodded and giggled, hugging Vanessa's neck. She turned towards him, a smile still on her face. "Thanks for letting me at least have a day with him. Have fun wherever you're going. Bye." And with that, Vanessa left the apartment, carrying Sebastian in her arms.

   Lin closed the door, pressing his lips together. Pippa came out of their room, a towel around her head. She had just stepped out of the shower about 10 minutes ago, but was now fully dressed. However, she still didn't have make up on. "She left already?" Pippa asked, standing by the hall. Lin nodded and looked over at her, knowing that she would have at least wanted to say hi. "Sorry about letting her go so early, mi amor."

   Pippa shook her head and smiled, walking over to him. She set a hand on his cheek and said, "It wasn't your fault, you don't need to apologize. I'll have the chance to see her again when she drops off Sebby." Lin had noticed that Pippa had grown quite fond of Vanessa, and it sort of surprised him. Actually, it didn't. Pippa was always the kind of person who didn't hold grudges and was always willing to start a new friendship. He always admired that about her.

Lin checked the time, seeing that it was 1:46 PM. He and Pippa were planning on taking a taxi to the appointment, the ride being approximately 15 minutes long, meaning that they had more than enough spare time for Pippa to do her make up. Lin walked towards the sofa and was about to sit down when he heard Pippa say, "Lin, get ready!"

This completely took him by surprise, seeing as he already was ready. He turned towards her, raising an eyebrow. "What do you mean? I'm already ready!"

Pippa shook her head and walked in to their room, calling out, "You are not wearing that!"

But what was wrong with sweatpants and a plain black shirt? Lin sighed when he saw her point. She was right, once again. He trailed after her and in to their room, walking to the wardrobe to change. This was going to be a special day, he wasn't just going to wear sweatpants. What he didn't know, though, was that this day was going to take a turn that he hadn't expected.

🙈🙉🙊

The waiting was the hardest out of everything. When Lin and Pippa arrived, they had to wait. And when they were called in, Pippa took a few urine tests and they had to wait again for the results. The doctor explained the dangers of smoking, drinking and taking drugs, things like that. Of course, Pippa hadn't even considered doing any of those the moment that she found out that she was pregnant. But the worst of all was waiting for the ultrasound. Both of them were so excited to see their baby for the first time, even if it was only just an embryo for now. The doctor claimed that Pippa was perfectly healthy and that she would be a wonderful mother, Lin silently agreeing. However, he did warn her to not work herself too hard, even while she was performing.

Finally, after what had seemed like forever, it was time for the ultrasound. Pippa was laid down on an exam table. The doctor told her to raise her shirt up, and Lin being Lin, had to joke about the doctor keeping his hands to himself. This, of course, made everyone in the room laugh. But there were only 3 people in the room, including Lin himself, so the laughter quickly died down.

Pippa raised her shirt up to expose her swollen belly, but nothing more. You could tell that she was extremely excited by the twinkle in her eyes, and when she looked at Lin, she could see that he was equally excited-- maybe even more than her. He grabbed her hand and held it tightly as the doctor applied the cool gel on to her abdomen. Lin and Pippa stared anxiously at the screen, waiting for the doctor to grab the transducer. He then put the transducer on her abdomen where the gel was, and the image of the embryo showed on the screen. Lin's grasp on Pippa's hand tightened as they both stared. They both felt nothing but love at this moment as the doctor moved the transducer around her abdomen.

   But it was over too soon. 20 minutes passed too quickly for Lin and Pippa. The doctor assured them that the baby seemed perfectly okay and that they didn't have to worry about anything. That was when Pippa decided that she didn't want to hide this giant secret anymore. As the doctor left the room, Pippa grasped Lin's hand suddenly and he turned towards her, smiling. "Yes, my love?"

   "I want to tell the whole world about our baby," she told him, never more sure of a decision. He looked a bit taken aback. "Pippa, are you sure?"

   She nodded, taking a deep breath. "Yes, of course. I've never been more sure, Lin."

   Lin nodded and smiled, leaning forward and kissing her forehead. "We'll tell everyone about our baby, then. Tonight. When we get home."

   But they never got home.

-

Ooh, cliffhanger! I'm not sorry, hah!

Thank you for reading!
- Danielle

Word Count: 959