Toes

Chapter 5-Toes

***Louis’ point of view***

My word, can’t a man go to the loo without the whole world going against him? I should have stayed with the rest of the group as Paul assigned the rooms but it’s just that I thought we were getting our own rooms like usual but no, Paul tells me we have to share, then tells me I’m sharing my room with Harry. I wouldn’t have minded before, in fact Harry and I would have been so thrilled about it, thinking of all the things we can do together behind Paul’s back like sneak out to party or get drunk in the room or eat all the junk food we’d like which we were cautioned to stay away from for the sake of our voices. But it was all different now, Harry was different. He didn’t remember anything about me, not the slightest bit. All that time of bonding, our friendship, everything we’ve been through-gone. Just like that as quick as a snap of your fingers it was gone. And it was painful to see it. I’ve been trying to avoid him, and that treacherous girl Erin who is more welcomed in the group than I would like because I felt like staying in the same room with him would make me go mental. And it already was. I was simply trying my best to keep it in. The private moments I had with myself was the only time I could let it go. But like my friendship with Haz, that was taken away and they shove me into a room with him. I tried to argue, I was at the start of it, my whole reasoning out and protesting at the tip of my tongue but the sensible side of Liam came out, taking me away from the group and talking to me for a bit.

“You need to fix this with Harry. Stop being so immature, Louis. We know you’re having a hard time-we all are. This just isn’t about you. We’re all trying to get him back and you should as well, you’re his best friend! Stop being such a child!” he had lectured me.

I couldn’t spit anything back at him. How could I? He called me a child. Sure, I could admit I was like a kid sometimes, me being the prankster, loud, hyper one of the group. But at times of responsibility I liked playing the leader. I was oldest and I liked feeling grown up. Liam calling me a child about such a serious matter hit me in the gut. So much that I was forcing myself to endure this hotel stay.

“Um…Louis?” Harry asks, interrupting me from my thoughts. I look up at him, drawing my eyes away from my entangled fingers as I sit down on a chair in our room. 

“Yeah?” 

“Which bed do you want?” he says, motioning to the two beds in the room.

“When we share a room, I usually take the bed near the windows. The morning light that passes through the drapes really bugs you in the morning and I’m a heavy sleeper so I take it,” I tell him and he nods, not knowing what else to say.

Harry moves to the bed closer to the door, away from the windows and sets his duffel bag down. When we stay at a place for only an overnight we don’t take down our entire luggage. We just grab what we need.

“So Erin tells me you have a girlfriend?” he asks, mumbling Erin’s name a little. Actually everyone hesitates mentioning Erin’s name to me now. They knew how I felt about her.

“I do. Her name’s Eleanor,” I reply, forcing a smile.

“Am I close with her or am I the type of best friend who acts all jealous?” he tries lightly, trying to make a joke and my fake smile turns genuine, starting to feel a little of the ease of our friendship again.

“You introduced me to her. Sometimes you get jealous but other times you two get on okay,” I answer, remembering the time we told Harry we were dating. He ignored me the whole day.

“So what do we usually do when we’re roommates? Do we invite up hookers or party or something?” he asks and suddenly a pang hits my heart. I don’t know, maybe because our previous topic was about Eleanor that’s why it was easier for me but now he moved on to something about us, it just felt so strange again.