"Come in." I studied her face as I walked in. She looked sunken, which either was really good or really bad. I was praying for good. 

"Mom?" I asked, "What's wrong?"

"I just miss him more today than normally." 

"Who?" I raised a suspicious eyebrow in her direction unsure who she could be missing. 

"Your father." She said quietly. 

"How can you miss him when you're moving on?" I asked in a more bitter tone than I intended. 

"I don't know," she admitted, "he was my first love, it's hard to not miss him." 

"Dad was your first love?" I smiled at her and climbed onto the bed. 

"Yes, we met in high school. I was about your age. They told me it'd never last, but I tried anyway. I thought I'd proved them wrong until he left last year." My mouth curved into a frown and I looked over my mother. She looked pale and delicate, as she talked about dad. I smiled at her and encouraged her to tell me more. "I'll always love him Viva, you know that?"

"Of course I do," I patted her hand, "I will too. Even if he's marrying again, even if evil-stepmother is terrible, and even if he decides he doesn't love me someday." She smiled at me and pulled me into her chest. 

"You remind me of him so much." She laughed sadly. "You look like him, act like him, have the same talents, have the same hobbies, and impress me everyday." 

"Thanks mom." I whispered and cuddled to her for a minute. I lost sight of the real reason I'd came into her room in the first place. I looked around the room and spotted her closet. Ah-ha! I needed something to wear. 

"Always." She said finally. I looked back up at her as I pulled away. 

"Mom, can I borrow a cocktail dress?" 

"For what?" She asked taken back by my question. 

"I'm going out tonight."

"Where are you going that would require a cocktail dress?" She was skeptical for good reason, but I couldn't let her know she was dead on. 

"Uh, Savannah's cousin's having a bridal shower party." I mentally punched myself for saying something wedding related. I knew my mother would have something to say about weddings and I shut my eyes and waited for it. She said nothing, just pushed from the bed to her closet. She reached in and pulled out a sleek black dress and black high heeled boots with delicate spikes on the back of them. They spoke danger, and sex appeal.

"You can wear these if you'd like."  I smiled and hugged my mother. 

"You're the best, did you know that?" I grabbed them and jogged to my room to get ready a bit more. I changed first, and studied my reflection. I looked sassy, and dominant. I tipped my head back and laughed. I felt better than I have in a while. I worked on my makeup next. I used dark colors to bring out the blues, and put on a simple silver chain for jewelry. My boots did the majority of accessorizing. I smiled, and checked the time. It was still early in the afternoon, but I decided I'd be ready ahead of time. I walked down the stairs into the living room to be greeted by girlfriend number six, this month. She was tall and dark skinned with thick red curls. 

"Hello." She smiled at me, and I nodded trying to avoid making nice with someone so temporary.

"Yeah, hey." I turned to the stairs. "Viper, really?" I turned back to the brunette. She was studying me, and I knew I was lacking compared to her. She had a full body, and curves. I was a pole in a tight dress.