Red Dresses and Pink Confessions

Start from the beginning

After what feels like greeting the thousandth cousin/aunt/uncle/grandparent, the Dupain-Cheng household is chock-full of family and friends, and Tom and Sabine kindly step in and take over.

Marinette speed-walks away, relieved to be done with greeting committee duty. A grin stretches her face when her older cousins wave her over.

"Finally done being the welcoming party?" her cousin, Ivonne, laughs, patting Marinette on the shoulder.

Marinette laughs as well, nodding. "Yeah. Thank God for that."

"Is it not nice to see all the family?" Fang Fen, her beautiful Chinese cousin, asks in proper French, her Chinese accent heavy in her words.

"No, no!" Marinette says quickly, waving her hands back and forth. "I love seeing everyone! There are just... so many of them," she explains, smiling nervously.

Fang Fen nods in understanding, her long black hair bouncing. "Ah."

"Can we go up to your room, Marinette?" Fleur queries, pointing up the stairs.

Marinette looks around warily, searching to see if Adrien or Nino had made their appearance when she hadn't been looking.

When she doesn't see them, she nods. "Sure."

The eight teenagers squeeze their way through the mass of relatives and hurry up the stairs. Hai Heng, Fang Fen's twin brother, holds the trapdoor open for everyone to climb through.

"Xièxie," Marinette thanks him, inclining her head as she walks past. He grins at her, eyes glinting in amusement.

"Okay," Alya says when everyone crowds into the space, leaning against random furniture, "what do we want to do?"

"We could play Bouillotte if you have cards," Ivonne suggests, referring to the poker-like game with a shrug of her shoulders.

"What is that?" Hai Heng queries, his strangely tall figure leaning against Marinette's desk.

The trapdoor suddenly opens, and a familiar head of black hair pops into sight, followed by a pair of chocolate eyes.

"Sorry we're late," Nino apologizes, ruffling his tux as he steps through.

Adrien follows him, and Marinette feels her mouth fall open.

His hair, usually perfect, is even more perfect combed back into a cowlick. His suit (though it looks just like every other guy's tux) fits him in all of the right places, showcasing his well-built arms and slim form.

He's gotten... meatier.

The speculation makes Marinette blush.

"Hey!" Alya exclaims, covering for the slightly out-of-commission bluenette. "Guys," she turns towards the mixed group of Chinese and French cousins, "this is Nino Lahiffe." She jabs a thumb at Nino, who winks and leans an arm on Adrien's shoulder. "And this is Adrien Agreste." She jabs her other thumb at Adrien, who grins and waves.

"Adrien Agreste?!" Melani, who's been quiet up until this point, screeches, eyes wide and disbelieving.

Adrien's expression turns uncomfortable, and he runs a hand through his hair. "Yep. I'm Marinette's friend," he explains, pointing at Marinette.

Marinette swiftly approaches the fourteen-year-old girl who looks like she's about to suffer from cardiac arrest. "Hey, hey, Mel. It's okay. He is just a person. Please refrain from fangirling."

"That's Adrien Agreste!" Melani hisses none-too-quietly, looking frantically between Adrien and Marinette with a wild glint in her eyes.

"Quit making a fool of yourself, sister," Fleur tuts, whacking her younger sister's arm.