Red Dresses and Pink Confessions

Start from the beginning

Marinette pulls a weird face at Alya's wording before dissolving into excited giggles. She slips out of her Christmas jammies and pulls the beautiful red dress over her head.

Alya squeals and makes a little 'twirl' motion with her pointer finger. "Spin around!"

The bluenette complies and slowly turns in a circle. Alya's squealing intensifies.

"YOU'RE SO BEAUTIFUL, OH MY GOD! MY BEST FRIEND IS A GODDESS!"

"Alya, stop," Marinette giggles, blushing profusely at her best friend's praises.

Suddenly, the doorbell rings. Marinette exchanges a panicked look with Alya.

"My makeup!"

"My hair!"

They screech both things simultaneously and sprint towards the bathroom.

Marinette dives for her brush and pulls it through her tangled curls as fast as she possibly can, cringing when she runs into particularly nasty knots. After what feels like lifetimes of brushing, she hurriedly reaches for her small tube of mascara, slathering on a couple of quick coats.

"Done!" Marinette chimes, slapping the counter.

"Ahhhh," Alya groans, dragging the curling iron through her hair. "I'll be down in a few."

"No problem," Marinette chirps, leaving the bathroom and closing the door behind herself.

Tikki pops up and sits on Marinette's shoulder. "You look so pretty!"

Marinette bats her hand. "Thanks, but stay low, Tikki! Never know who might see you."

She slips into a pair of black heels and smiles at her reflection in the mirror. Her eyes widen when she sees her hair.

"Crap!" she hisses, speed-walking over to her dresser. "Hair ties! I need hair ties!"

The doorbell echoes through the house again.

"Marinette!" Sabine calls from down in the bakery, her voice bouncing off of the walls. "You're the party host! Get the door!"

"Just a second, Maman!" Marinette shouts back, panic settling in her stomach.

"Just leave your hair down! You look great, Marinette!" Tikki insists, floating in front of Marinette's face with her big indigo eyes blinking innocently at the bluenette.

Marinette groans and stalks over to the trapdoor. "I'll have to take your word for it."

She hurries down the stairs as fast as one can go in heels and skitters to a stop in front of the front door. Relinquishing a sigh, she smooths out the beautiful fabric of her dress, combs a couple of fingers through her hair, and opens the door.

"Marinette-a!" Grandmama exclaims, her wrinkled face stretching in delight as her arms raise in the air, ready for a hug.

"Grandmama!" Marinette replies with equal fervor, taking the small woman into her arms.

The petite Italian woman waddles past Marinette, her eccentric Christmas attire blending in perfectly with Marinette's quaint living room. Two of Marinette's older cousins, Fleur and Seraph, step forward from the hall, each giving Marinette a hug before walking past her. Their younger sister, Melani, follows, exchanging cheek-pecks with Marinette.

Similar arrivals of family members and close friends happen for the next fifteen minutes or so. Alya had come out of the bathroom about five minutes into the greetings and has been conversing with Marinette's cousins (both older and younger) ever since.