Chapter 17 [SAMPLE]

POV Victoria

POV Victoria

Luca's charging after me and Sofia throughout the house.

We've been running for a while now, and I'm slowing down. But not Luca. He's still hot on our tails, approaching us at full speed.

His fingers graze my left shoulder blade, and I shriek, willing myself to run faster.

Sofia takes a sharp turn, disappearing to my left and leaving Luca to chase after me. I huff in annoyance because drawing on his face was her idea.

Up ahead, I see Leo coming out of a room. I run toward him, knowing Luca won't hurt me if he's nearby.

Noticing us, Leo raises a brow in surprise before his eyes widen when he sees how fast I'm running toward him.

I crash into his solid chest, and he doesn't stumble back from the force. He catches me as if I weigh nothing.

Luca approaches us, huffing, and Leo's hold loosens around my waist, allowing me to hide behind him.

A smile tugs at my lips when Luca groans in defeat. He then makes a beeline in the other direction and grumbles incoherent sentences under his breath.

Sofia appears from the corner with a grin.

"Nice mustache." Comes her snarky reply.

"Shut it!" Luca grunts, and she laughs.

My attention shift to Leo, who has a dazed, faraway expression.

"Is everything okay?" I ask.

He nods and grabs my right hand, giving it a gentle squeeze. His warmth brings a sense of comfort and protection.

I'm not sure what to think about his constant gestures of affection toward me. I know I should find them creepy, but for some weird reason, I don't.

My brain keeps telling me to stop falling for his charm. But my heart keeps skipping a beat anytime he treats me as if I'm his.

It's his stupid, handsome face that's making me go crazy!

Leo's voice breaks through my thoughts.

"I need to speak to you both." His expression and tone are unreadable, and this makes me nervous.

His comment from this morning comes to mind, and I realize he's going to tell us what he's going to do with us. A shiver runs through the length of my body. Afraid of what he has to say.

We nod, and he ushers us inside the room he was leaving earlier.

Sofia and I take a seat in front of Leo's desk. There's a tension in my body, and Sofia looks at me with a nervous expression.

"You asked me when you could go home..." Leo draws out.

"Yes," I mumble.

"Adriano and his men know I had something to do with your rescue." My eyes shoot up to stare at him, and I'm sure he can see the terror in my eyes.