Chapter 15 [SAMPLE]

POV Leo

POV Leo

The door slams behind me, and the noise reverberates throughout the house.

There's a quick rise and fall in my chest, and my blood is boiling.

As I come down from my rage, the warm blood in my veins freezes when I realize what I've done.

Behind me, I've left a crushed Victoria, and regret toward how I handled the situation seeps in, but it's too late. I've already said the harsh words.

I realize my outbursts confuse her, and why wouldn't they? She doesn't know I'm a bipolar asshole who doesn't know the first thing about being gentle.

The need to go back inside and beg her to forgive me increases, but I stop myself because I know if I go inside, I'll frighten her more than I already do.

Victoria's afraid of me, and to admit this hurts more than it should.

I saw her fear downstairs, and I saw it again ten seconds ago. She thinks I'm like Adriano, but I'm nothing like that bastard!

To see her flinch from my touch brings an inexplicable amount of grief. I never want to see the look of fear on her face again. However, I'm not doing a very good job. In fact, I'm giving her more reasons to be afraid.

I close my eyes for a second and sigh. When I open them, Angelo stands in the corner with a stupid grin.

A stiffness rises in my shoulders, and I glare at him. He rolls his grinning lips into his mouth, stifling his laughter as I walk past him to get to my office.

Once there, I try to focus on the documents I brought to France, but I quickly realize I won't be getting any work done because the guilt is eating me alive.

All Victoria wanted to know was when she could go home to her family, but I neglected her request. She needs to know my intentions toward her are not to harm her. I simply want to make sure she's okay to travel after what her body has experienced. Or at least I tell myself this. But who am I fooling? This isn't close to the truth. I don't want to let her go because the mere mention of her leaving fills me with rage.

Victoria is making me question my sanity.

A frustrated sigh escapes me when I'm consumed with selfishness to keep her with me for a little longer. It's not like I haven't done worse. Yet, I'm aware I can't keep her with me. She doesn't belong to me. She doesn't belong to anyone but herself, and I will let her go. But I first want to get to know her, even if it might make letting her go more painful. She's worth it.

I'm also not comfortable letting her go home while Adriano is still on the loose. The risk of her getting kidnapped again is high, so long as Adriano is alive and knows she exists.

The comment from Sofia about how they didn't see much of France enters my thoughts. With this in mind, I'm determined to make sure they both get the experience they came here for, and it's a perfect opportunity to get to know Victoria. Maybe then I can figure out why she has such a hold on me.