Chapter 16 [SAMPLE]

Start from the beginning

As I sit at the bottom of the shower, I bury my head in my knees, and my shoulders shake from the intense sobs coming from inside me.

I can feel Richard's fingers, and panic rises in my chest. Biting my lip hard, a penny-like taste fills my mouth. Then there's silence, and my cries turn into hard breathing.

The scorching hot water from the shower turns my brown skin red and the blood in my veins fizzles up. My hands ball into tight fists, and I'm filled with anger toward Adriano and his men for what they did to me and what they are doing to others. Then a wave of irritation washes over me as I try to understand Leo's confusing behavior. I'm not sure if he's my savior or if he's also kidnapped me. He's nice one second and a total ass the next, and despite this, I can't help but want to be near him, which makes me angry at myself.

Maybe I'm also bipolar?

***

Showering didn't get rid of the itch on my skin. There's no forgetting what they did to me. Especially not while I still have the giant bruises and busted lip.

My battered body reminds me of the violence I've been subjected to, and all because I didn't submit to Adriano and his men. They hit me because I retaliated and didn't bite my tongue when a man disrespected me. These bruises are proof of my rebellion. A marker to tell the world I didn't go down without a fight.

Unable to look at the bruises any longer, I return to the room and contemplate what to do. At this moment, I don't know what I can do. I'm not sure if I'm free to go where I want or if I'm bound to this room. Leo never told me what he wanted with me and Sofia.

After debating my next actions, I give in and decide to go outside. I can't stay in here forever.

I approach the door and hesitate to open it, afraid of who will be outside. There are men in this house who carry guns that can kill ten people in a minute.

The only thing pushing me to open the door is knowing Sofia is somewhere alone in the house.

I continue through the mansion, intending to find her.

While making my way through the hallway, the sound of men speaking makes me stop. I have the urge to run back to the room, but I force myself to keep walking, determined to find Sofia.

As I pass the group of tall men, I stiffen.

When they notice me, curiosity reveals itself in their expressions.

They don't stop to question me, which I'm thankful for because I won't know what to tell them if they ask me anything about why I'm here.

If what Luca said last night is true about the other girls rescued being sent to a hotel, then why are Sofia and I here and not there?

I dismiss these thoughts and enter the kitchen to find Sofia preparing food. Luca hovers behind her, and I notice him lick his lips, visibly excited to eat.

When they hear me come in, they turn in my direction. Sofia's face glows when she sees me.

"Morning," I say, helping Sofia with breakfast, since I have nothing better to do than think about the uncertainty surrounding our predicament. Thinking about the past few days will only upset me more than I already am, and the smells of home wafting from the stove do well to ease the grief in my chest.

When we finish cooking, men pile into the kitchen with hunger. I turn to Sofia, and we exchange a knowing look, both amused by the men salivating from the delicious aroma in the room.

"What is that?" Luca asks, swallowing, and his eyes widen with hunger.

I slide a plate in front of him, and he mumbles a "thank you" before digging into the dish without a utensil. I laugh at his excitement and hand him a fork. He gladly takes it and continues to stuff his face, moaning as he chews.