Chapter 14 [SAMPLE]

Start from the beginning

I stare down at my knotted fingers, and he exhales, drawing my attention back to him. When I look at him this time, I notice the white scar on the right side of his face. It starts on his temple and ends near the tail of his brow bone. The scar is a slight imperfection, but it makes him more attractive.

He stares at me, and another flutter erupts in my stomach. It's a reaction I don't understand. He's a stranger, and it's not right for me to let his good looks or the fact that he rescued me tempt me. But my body is acting like I've never seen a man before. I was almost raped for crying out loud! Why am I feeling this way toward him? I have better things to worry about, like my cousin and where she is.

As if sensing my worry, he answers my concerns.

"Your cousin is here. I'll bring her to you," he says, and I pick up on the slight Italian accent in his dialect. It reminds me of Adriano and his men. A terror pulses through my veins.

He hears my breathing turn frantic, and a line appears between his brows. He says nothing and rises from the bed, heading toward the door.

Many questions are going through my head, but there is one I'm dying to know the answer to.

"Who are you?" My voice is timid, even to my ears.

His strong back stiffens, and he turns to the side.

"Leo," he says, hesitating for a second before leaving the room.

Alone again, his name comes from my parted lips in a whisper. It rolls pleasantly off my tongue.

A few minutes pass, and he still hasn't returned.

When the stabbing pain in my head becomes unbearable, I lay down and close my eyes. I'm about to welcome the darkness when the silence in the room end.

"You told me she was awake?" Sofia remarks with accusation.

"She was awake when I left," Leo says condescendingly.

"Sofia," I whisper, and she whirls around to look at me. Her brown hair flies behind her.

When she sees me awake, she sighs and crouches beside me, wrapping me in her arms.

"Oh, thank god, Victoria, you scared me." She looks me over, and her eyes stop on the black shirt I'm wearing.

I glance at the shirt and then at Leo, who wears a similar one. He's already looking at me, and his intense stare brings heat to my face. Trying to avoid his penetrating gaze, I quickly turn to my cousin.

"Did they touch you? Are you hurt?" I ask in a panic, and now it's my turn to look her over for any injuries.

"No, I'm fine. It's you I was worried about." Her hands are now around my face. "Victoria, you overdosed on heroin! I was so scared." Her eyes glisten with tears, and her hands around my cheeks tremble.

From this information, I grimace, and my body shudders. Disgust settles inside my stomach, assuring me I haven't grown addicted to the drug.

"How long was I out?"

"Two days!" Sofia says, and I don't believe her until I turn toward the window in the room to see the sun setting, which tells me I woke up late in the evening.

Leo remains in the middle of the room, deep in thought. His full lips are pressed into a thin line.

"Thank you for saving us," I say, and a slight smile tugs on his lips.

Sofia glances from me to Leo. Her eyes shimmer with a look I know all too well.

"Where are we?" I ask, looking around the ebony walls and modern gray furniture adorning the room.